29 Gallon Tank So I was thinking of trying a SW tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I stopped by the local Petco today and saw they had a couple of 29 gallons on clearance for SW starter kits. For $55(approx) they had the:
29 gallon aquarium
Lid w/ light
Heater
Instant Ocean(3 boxes of it)
Filter(I think but not 100%)

There may have been more included but it did say everything to start a saltwater tank. I have never done SW before so needless to say I am quite nervous about giving it a shot. I mean I have seen fish worth hundreds of dollars in SW setups before, but I have also seen them for $10-$15 as well(which is what I would try first). Before I make my decision to take the next step in my MTS issue, I would like to hear a bit of feedback on how hard the SW tank can be for beginners and I value FL members opinion quite a bit. Now before you say...."awww nothing to it" there's a few things I think I should mention:

1. Is there any similarities between FW and SW at ALL? As far as pH/nitrites/ammonias/water changes...ect?

2. Are there special filters needed versus the old HOB FW versions(thats if one is not included in the tank)

3. Is a small(29g) tank ok for a SW starter?

4. Will I be able to house only certain fish together? Or do all ocean fish of the appropriate size love all other fish...lol.(Meaning are there aggressive and community setups for SW tanks as well?)

5. Am I going to be in the poor house if I develop an MTS SW issue? Are the fish reasonably priced for the most part(I know they are more than FW fish)?

6. I am excited and scared to death of this hobby because living objects such as coral/rock and Anemones confuse the heck out of me. What exactly is live rock??

7. After typing all of this I'm, as I type, considering sticking to FW just because I'm afraid I would destroy a SW setup.

Anyway thanks for reading and I would appreciate any feedback at all and I'm off to read the sticky's as we speak(I wanted personal input from everyone is why the post is up and I'm not just reading those ).

Thanks Fishlore Members

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hopefully some of our salties will come along and give further info, but here's my thoughts
1. Is there any similarities between FW and SW at ALL? As far as pH/nitrites/ammonias/water changes...ect?
Yes and no - generally salt water runs at pH 8.1-8.4 depending on the type of setup (Fish Only, FOWLR, Reef)
Water changes still need to be conducted every 7-10 days.
Check out this table for a good guide of all saltwater parameters

2. Are there special filters needed versus the old HOB FW versions(thats if one is not included in the tank)
Yes there are special requirements. You should consider a protein skimmer, and a sump filtration system if possible, otherwise a canister filter is generally recommended.
If you are going FOWLR or Reef, the live rock is your best form of filtration.

3. Is a small(29g) tank ok for a SW starter?
IMO - yes 29G is fine. Just be aware of any live stock requirements, but I have seen some great setups.

4. Will I be able to house only certain fish together? Or do all ocean fish of the appropriate size love all other fish...lol.(Meaning are there aggressive and community setups for SW tanks as well?)
Saltwater is no different to FW - some species are aggressive, as are some corals. Always check your compatibility before purchasing.

5. Am I going to be in the poor house if I develop an MTS SW issue? Are the fish reasonably priced for the most part(I know they are more than FW fish)?
Like any aquarium, most of the cost is in the live rock, equipment and lighting. Once setup, the running costs are slightly higher as you need to consider Reverse Osmosis water, and how you will obtain/make your change water.
The fish are generally more expensive because they are normally hand caught from reefs.
Do yourself a favour and start building a 'price list' of SW fish and equipment to see where it will put you.

6. I am excited and scared to death of this hobby because living objects such as coral/rock and Anemones confuse the heck out of me. What exactly is live rock??
Live rock is rock taken from the ocean and placed in the aquarium. The rock itself is not alive, however all the bacteria and micro organisms that live it on the rock has coined the term "live rock". LR is the best form of bio filtration in a saltwater setup
With corals and anemones, be sure to research their requirements as far as lighting, currents (using power heads) etc.
7. After typing all of this I'm, as I type, considering sticking to FW just because I'm afraid I would destroy a SW setup.
So long as you have the patience, your hobby will reward you.
You need to do lots of research, and then research some more and keep researching. The SW members here are fantastic.
You will do a lot better following the 'ask first, then execute' method, rather than diving in.
I think you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1. Is there any similarities between FW and SW at ALL? As far as pH/nitrites/ammonias/water changes...ect? the things are just kept at different levels and there are a couple more that need checked like calcium ets

2. Are there special filters needed versus the old HOB FW versions(thats if one is not included in the tank) there is more of a need for bio. filtering and protien skimming

3. Is a small(29g) tank ok for a SW starter? you just need to be more diligent with water changes and testing.

4. Will I be able to house only certain fish together? Or do all ocean fish of the appropriate size love all other fish...lol.(Meaning are there aggressive and community setups for SW tanks as well?) NOPE a lot of salties hate each other so much planning is needed it what fish to get and your LFS will not always give you the best advice.

5. Am I going to be in the poor house if I develop an MTS SW issue? Are the fish reasonably priced for the most part(I know they are more than FW fish)? yes to the poor house, and I'd say average is 25.00 to 50.00.... but it is worth it

6. I am excited and scared to death of this hobby because living objects such as coral/rock and Anemones confuse the heck out of me. What exactly is live rock?? it is rock that grows algae etc on it and it acts as a bio filter for your tank plus a place for fish to eat.

7. After typing all of this I'm, as I type, considering sticking to FW just because I'm afraid I would destroy a SW setup. it has a pretty big learning curve but it is very rewarding my first advice is to take it VERY slow and make sure to quarentien all new fish before releasing them into your main tank (I learned this the VERY hard way and it cost me a lot of beautiful fish, time, and money)

I hope this helps a lil, any questions you can feel free to ask here or in a PM

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hopefully some of our salties will come along and give further info, but here's my thoughts

Yes and no - generally salt water runs at pH 8.1-8.4 depending on the type of setup (Fish Only, FOWLR, Reef)
Water changes still need to be conducted every 7-10 days.
Check out this table for a good guide of all saltwater parameters

Yes there are special requirements. You should consider a protein skimmer, and a sump filtration system if possible, otherwise a canister filter is generally recommended.
If you are going FOWLR or Reef, the live rock is your best form of filtration.

IMO - yes 29G is fine. Just be aware of any live stock requirements, but I have seen some great setups.

Saltwater is no different to FW - some species are aggressive, as are some corals. Always check your compatibility before purchasing.

Like any aquarium, most of the cost is in the live rock, equipment and lighting. Once setup, the running costs are slightly higher as you need to consider Reverse Osmosis water, and how you will obtain/make your change water.
The fish are generally more expensive because they are normally hand caught from reefs.
Do yourself a favour and start building a 'price list' of SW fish and equipment to see where it will put you.

Live rock is rock taken from the ocean and placed in the aquarium. The rock itself is not alive, however all the bacteria and micro organisms that live it on the rock has coined the term "live rock". LR is the best form of bio filtration in a saltwater setup
With corals and anemones, be sure to research their requirements as far as lighting, currents (using power heads) etc.

So long as you have the patience, your hobby will reward you.
You need to do lots of research, and then research some more and keep researching. The SW members here are fantastic.
You will do a lot better following the 'ask first, then execute' method, rather than diving in.
I think you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.
I agree with all of this answer n wish I'd have read it before I basically retyped it all LOL

OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Ryanr for the feedback Are there specific types of fish that may look good and be compatible in a 29g specifically? Just a heads up, I do have a 7 year old who watches Pixar movies, so there is no doubt in my mind he would like to see a clown in there somewhere. I also read on the profiles page that clowns may or may not benefit from host anemones? Is this like taken from where he was spawned or something? Do breeders use a new one for each batch of fry? No clue what that meant.

Just curious as to what might look good in a 29g setup with hopefully at least one clown.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any lighting that Petco includes in a kit tank is going to be woefully inadequate for corals, and especially anemones. Plan to spend an additional $150+ on a light fixture if you would like to try corals. The deal itself is ok, I'm pretty sure it's the same tank they sell as a FW kit but they include Instant Ocean with it for the SW kit. Maybe a cheap hydrometer too. You can use the HOB filter that comes with the kit, but will probably need to add a powerhead or 2 for extra flow (amount of flow is one thing that is a lot different about SW tanks, you need a lot more). I would strongly recommend buying an RO/DI unit, or at least buying RO/DI water from your LFS or Kroger or something until you can justify the cost.

A clown or a clown pair would be fine in a 29 gallon. They do not need to have an anemone and many will even host in corals. I would not recommend trying an anemone until the tank matures (probably 8-12 months old).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom