So i want to

1. Kerber23 Member Member

So i want to start a salt water tank. I have a 10gal and im not sure if i should use it. I dont want to go all out just yet. I was thinking of having a common Clown and maby a shrimp. If i like it, and feel i can handle it then i will switch my 30 to salt and put my breeding rams in the 10. my question is.. what filter should i use, and what protine skimmer i can use.. (for a 10 gal.. keep in mind im just wanting to see what its like)

:) thanks

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Um, you posted this in the frshwater section. I think you'll get better responses in the saltwater. There are a few mods online, maybe someone could move it? :)

3. Kerber23 Member Member

O,o?
    Fish Lore Tropical Fish and Aquarium Forum > Saltwater Aquarium Fish and Reef Tank Forum > Saltwater Beginners

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:) Moved.

5. crazedACD Member Member

Haha, I just asked the same question...still waiting on responses :p.

6. reefdude Member Member

You really don't need a protein skimmer for the 10G. Should you decide to convert the 30G you will. There are a variety of skimmers as well as filters. Your best bet would be to go to your LFS and tell them what you have in mind and what you plan to stock and spend. :;dk

7. Kerber23 Member Member

:d thanks...any idea for the cost range?

8. Naeusu Member Member

Protein skimmers can range from 50bucks to over 200 depending on the type and size.

9. Kerber23 Member Member

im excited

10. reefdude Member Member

It's a very rewarding hobby and loads of fun!:;rocker

11. Kerber23 Member Member

I sure hope i like it as much as I think it will be... just cleaned out the 10gal. and put my Blueram into my other tank wich has a breeding pair

12. Oil_Fan Well Known Member Member

Even in a 30 gallon you could get away without using a skimmer. Just keep up the 5 gallon WC's and you'll be fine. Now if you go reef, then I'd absolutely add a skimmer.

13. Kerber23 Member Member

well thats my plan :) :D So even a skimer in the 10?

14. Kerber23 Member Member

So after some planning... and some thaught provoking ideas.. i have come to a conclusion. 10gal tank stock

2-Blue Damsel
    1-Red Tree Sponge
    1-Orange Tree Sponge
    1-Chaetomorpha(i dont know :/)
    3-5lbs of Liverock
    1-Yellow Porite (I dont know :/)

now i forgot, i thaught i read somewhere about live rocks and invertabrates....?
    what lighting :O this is all so much >.O

15. Naeusu Member Member

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-YellowtailBlueDamsel.htm Need about 30 gallons...the only things in saltwater i think that can function well in something as small as a 10 gallon are shrimp, crabs, and seahorses...

The sponges don't need a lot of light so you can go with compacts on something as small as a 10 gallon. Chaeto grows well with compacts as well, just be careful it doesn't overtake your tank because it loves to grow. You're supposed to have roughly the same amount of live rock to gallons of water, but i'm not sure if you can put 10lbs in 10 gallons...are you going with sand or a bare bottom tank?

16. Kerber23 Member Member

sand