So, I severely disturbed my crypts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got to looking at my red cryptocoryne wendtii, and I could see where there were several distinct plants growing out of what used to be all in one pot. The pot is long gone and the plant has been growing well. Anyway... I couldn't leave well enough alone and I uprooted it and seperated all the plants. I now have 4 nice ones and several small ones. I'm sure some crypt rot is inevitable, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to care for them while they re-establish themselves? I stuck a few root fertilizer tabs in the area, but I don't know anything else to do for them. I'll get some picks up in a couple days.

tyspot1000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They usually recover after a few weeks to months. Even Crypts That completely melted to have no foliage can recover if given enough time, But I think Patience and will heal it

Tyler

backflipfronflip

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They will be fine in a little while.

I recently cut off a few little shoots and just stuck them in the gravel. I don't use ferts or Co2 and they are doing great, probably not growing as quick as they would with ferts but still they are allive and have about half a dozen new leaves each.

Just give them a little time undisturbed and they'll probably come back fine.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Your crypts will slowly recover. Don't be surprised to see virtually no growth for the next month while they re-establish in your tank.

Think of it as having just purchased bareroot plants.

Dogfishead

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When i first put my Crypts in the tank they came out of one pot and went in all together. It just didnt look right after about a week or so and i pulled it all out and split it up and planted it in several different spots. I used the flourish plant tabs throughout my tank.

Now, a couple months later the Crypts are doing great and have lots of new growth. I think youll be just fine and i dont think theres really anything else besides what youve already done.

OP
F

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update:
My crypts are doing fine. I threw away one of the smallest ones and another isn't staying rooted, but that's been the worst of it. Some of the big ones have lost a leaf or two but I think that's because they were shaded from being planted densely. I'm having a little trouble keeping all the roots covered but nothing major.

OP
F

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's been about three weeks since I seperated my plants and now I'm beginning to see some new growth. I added another bag of eco-complete and my gravel is now 3-4 inches deep. The roots stayed buried much better now. None of the plants have lost more than a couple leaves. Here are some before and after pics.

OP
F

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's been two months now and things are worse than ever. I've been pullin 2-3 leaves a day out of the tank. I've lost over 2/3 of the foliage. Even some of the newer growth has melted. I'm beginning to get worried.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are still having an issue.

Are these plants in your 30G? Your profile states you have the following lighting:
86 watts total 4 t-5 bulbs 62 watts full spectrum 24 watts pinkish "plant" spectrum
If I understand correctly you have 24W plus another 62W full spectrum T5HO lighting. The is a lot of light for a 30G tank. How many hours are these lights on? Ferts, root tabs? How about CO2? Although crypts don't have high fert requirements, IME they benefit greatly from root tabs .

In a post above you stated that you added more Eco-Complete. Did you raise the plants at that time? From looking at your picture, it appears that they are too deep now. I'd suggest you raise them up so that the top of the roots are just covered.

OP
F

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Only one of the crypts is planted too deeply and oddly it's the one doing the best. It's 4 t-5 bulbs. 2 X 24 watt full spectrum, 1 X 14 watt full spectrum, and 1 X 24 watt "plant" spectrum. I've been using root tabs for several months. I also dose small amounts of liquid fert for the unrooted plants. No co2 yet. The bad state of the crypts has given me the motivation to set it up. We'll see how that goes.

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oooh thanks for this- my crypt- same as yours is getting bigger and I wanted to split it up- now I'm just going to get another just in case. I have been looking for an excuse.
I heard they reacted bad but didn't realize they were that bad when moved. It seems like all the good plants seem to be like this.

Good luck with yours- hope it comes back for you.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
I've moved my crypts and never experienced the die back that you are. I know that most varieties prefer low to moderate lighting; and you have high light on your tank. How many hours a day are your lights on? Could it be possible these plants are getting too much light? Are you dosing with a balanced liquid plant food?

That's all I can think of for now. Maybe someone else will come along with another idea.

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That makes sense...mine is in a tank with no special lights- I replaced the Aquarium stock bulbs with Grolux lights that's it...so I'm severely low light and this plant seems to like it the best.

OP
F

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The lights are on for 8 hours. I really don't think that too much light is the problem. The plant grew nicely for a couple months before I split it up. The tank it came out of at the fish store was also high light. Judging from how balled up the roots were in its little pot I suspect it was there a long time. Co2 injection starts tomorrow afternoon. If they don't stop losing leaves I'll consider moving them.

OP
F

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been running co2 for a couple weeks and the plants haven't improved. The leaves haven't been melting the way they did at first, lately the bottom of the stem would just rot away and the leaf would fall off. My girlfriend said that in terrestrial plants that generally means root rot.
So, I decided to dig up most of them and transplant to lower light tanks. This had been the intention all along but I didn't want to move them when they were bad off. Root rot was confirmed on the worst looking specimens. One had almost no root at all. Any guess what would cause this?

OP
F

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update:
2 of them survived. The one that was planted too deeply was oddly the only one that did well. Another one sprouted up after a long period with no leaves. Perhaps I gave up on the others too soon, but they looked like just a rhizome with no roots. The one good plant has fully recovered and is in full on growth mode. It has new growth and is starting to put out runners under the gravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom