So I missed the part where Keyholes are snail eaters...

faydout

I finally got my order of Nerites in the other night. The warlord, Penda (my smaller male) was awfully interested in the little black and yellow guys horned snails. After about a half hour, he started flinging them around. I only found the 1 shell today doing a deep gravel cleaning. I went and googled specifically for Keyhole cichlids eating snails, cause yep... there it was. Looks like I just bought my little cichlids a pretty terrific snack. The snails I've seen, have been hanging closer to the top. I also got some Baitek's and they were a bit bigger, Penda was having a tough time turning them over.

Leeman75

Good to know. Keyholes are my next targeted fish purchase once LFS is more accessible post-quarantine.

NC122606

faydout said:
I finally got my order of Nerites in the other night. The warlord, Penda (my smaller male) was awfully interested in the little black and yellow guys horned snails. After about a half hour, he started flinging them around. I only found the 1 shell today doing a deep gravel cleaning. I went and googled specifically for Keyhole cichlids eating snails, cause yep... there it was. Looks like I just bought my little cichlids a pretty terrific snack. The snails I've seen, have been hanging closer to the top. I also got some Baitek's and they were a bit bigger, Penda was having a tough time turning them over.
That is weird, I had tons of pond snails and they didn't even touch them. But I have never had them touch any snails even my big rabbit snail. They do feed on small crustaceans in the wild, but I do not think that would matter.

faydout

I've got 4 in a 54 corner tank. They're still young, but as best as I can tell so far, I've got 2m / 2f. Alfraed is the big male. He's pretty laid back, and tends to jump in the middle of the little cichlid bickering that happens. Penda is the one that I think is the smaller male. He's a bit bigger than the gals, but from the moment I put them in the tank, I've been of the opinion that he was going to run the tank eventually. The name fits, he's much more "cichlid" like than the other 3. He's kinda always been my low key favorite of the Keyholes. Alfraed is a big pretty boy though, he's been getting the blue fringe along his dorsal lately.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom