So I lost 2 Bettas last night

heybreeezy

Just an FYI, the Aqueon cube and edge lit tanks are not sufficient for Bettas. At least not with the lids that you get with the tank. I KNEW I should have covered the tanks with something else, I even stood back and watched them for a good while before I even let them alone for the night. But the lids are about a quarter inch from the sides I figured since my betta was a king beta the possibility of him getting through the crack wouldn't be too good. But obviously from the title of this post I was wrong. Him and along with the new betta I got yesterday both jumped out of their tanks last night. I should have just went with my gut instinct like we always should because when we don't, we always end up wishing we would have made the opposite decision that we made. I know it's not my water quality because I had it tested yesterday when I went to Petco. He had always been a jumper. He would literally stare at the top of the tank and plot and scheme a way to get out. I have rescued him on the floor before because he decided he wanted to jump during a water change. I go to get more water I come back and he's nowhere in sight. I looked down and he's on the floor. And the crappiest part about it I just put him in that tank yesterday because it was shallower than the tank he was in. I should have just left him where he was. But since he developed swim bladder issues to my knowledge from jumping out of the tank, he would grow constipated and I would have to give him a salt bath every other day for him to use the bathroom. So I figured a shower tank would help him. Because I would find him just hanging out at the top instead of swimming around and I figured it was because he couldn't get to the top very easy. But now I have to suffer the consequences of my **** actions. I should know if nothing is broken I shouldn't try to fix it.

Skrabbitskrabbit

Sorry for your losses. It’s not easy. My favorite fish jumped out recently too :/

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Jumping bettas...definitely a thing that is overlooked in many cases, although doesn't seem like it was in this case. I had one jump once...and there was such a tiny gap he could even get through! But somehow he did...

Sorry to hear this happened...but, experience is also just knowledge for the future!

Upvote 0

lolitroy

Aw man, I just got a similar, new tank to move my betta to but this is giving me second thoughts. I'm sorry for your loss.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Sadly every fish is a budding Houdini...doesn't need a water quality issue to cause it, it can just be "one of those things" that happens sometimes and often without any warning

There is no point getting angry with yourself, its something to chalk up to experience

Very sorry that you lost the fish in that way, it is surprisingly commonplace and doesn't always need a reason.

Upvote 0

heybreeezy

Aw man, I just got a similar, new tank to move my betta to but this is giving me second thoughts. I'm sorry for your loss.
Just make sure you get a different type of lid. Because the gap between the lid and the clips is where he managed to get out. Also the 3 gallon aqueon cube has the glass lid but also has an attachment to hook on if you wasn't using a filter. And with the filter in the tank the Gap was too big so I had to take the filter out. But since there's a heater in there the cord makes the lid hang funny so he was able to somehow maneuver himself through which really seems like a whole bunch of work just to get out.
Jumping bettas...definitely a thing that is overlooked in many cases, although doesn't seem like it was in this case. I had one jump once...and there was such a tiny gap he could even get through! But somehow he did...

Sorry to hear this happened...but, experience is also just knowledge for the future!
It just stumps me. Water is perfectly fine he did clear parameters are perfect. Why jump? I take care of you the best way I can bro. Stop wondering if the grass is greener on the other side or not LOL Just wish I knew the reason so I could fix it. Or give it whatever I'm obviously failing to give with my best of knowledge.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Sometimes there is no reason, they just jump. It dosen't have to be bad water params or anything like that. THey just jump. Sorry bout your fish.

Upvote 0

heybreeezy

Thanks y'all! Y'all are great!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips
Replies
Views
betta06