So I kinda want to start a beta tank..? Help

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ghardin, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ghardinValued MemberMember

So right now I'm currently in the process of moving my community fish from their previous 10 gallon to a brand new 29 gallon! So now I have this perfectly good ten gallon tank just sitting here begging me to use it for something. So I was like...Betta tank? Now my knowledge of betta fish is minimal, I'm more of a community tropical person, but I think It would be fun! So just a few (ok a lot) of questions-
    1. Sand or gravel?
    2. Is 10 gallons too big? Should I get a divider and keep two?
    3. Heater?
    4. Pellets or flakes?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

1. As long as it isn't point it really doesn't matter but they do need it heabily planted!
    2. A 10g is just fine for one... but if you want you can divide it for 2
    3. Yes a heater is a must... they like it in the upper 70 low 80 range
    4. Mine like pellets more... lots of people here suggest NLS for them.

Edit: also this kinda annoys me with other posts so may as well start wit you... it is betta with 2 "t"s

3. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I agree with the advise given above :) and the spelling mistake doesn't bother me ;) lol

If you are just housing the betta and wanting to do heavily planted I would use a fertilised substrate and cap it with gravel as it holds the plants a little better I have two planted tanks each housing a betta and have both substrates gravel in one and crushed coral sand in the other and the gravelled tank I find is easier to plant :)

You could divide it for two if you like is it a wide or tall tank? If its wide then yeah definitely if its tall maybe not

Bettas are amazing fish to own I love mine they can be addictive too

4. ghardinValued MemberMember

Ok I was right! In google chrome if you type betta, it says its spelled wrong so I was like oh, well then. But yeah its wide so maybe I'll do two. But I've always done fake plants, is it hard to have a planted tank?

5. MagooFishlore VIPMember

You can get lots of really pretty silk plants that would be perfect for a betta if you've not done live plants before or just take the plunge and see where it goes :)

I have been successful with my plants but I will admit I have not always been this green fingered I have gone through lots of plants in the past until I got it right and now would never go back to fake.

There are many plants out there that are low light and don't take much maintenance maybe start off with a mix and see where it leads you :) you could do silk in the back and maybe get a marimo moss ball or two for the front they just need turning every now and again and every so often give them a squeeze in the old tank water during a water change and that's it I have them in with one of my bettas and he likes pushing them about like he is playing fishy soccer

I you do decide to go the fake route you need to check their aren't any sharp edged or ragged ends as bettas do like to swim between the plants and plastic plants are no good as the fish can get injured and or snag their beautiful fins and tails.

6. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

7. ghardinValued MemberMember

I know in my 10 gallon it has two 15 watt bulbs, could I do some java fern and anubias? I heard those were easy.

8. MagooFishlore VIPMember

They would be perfect and they done need to be planted they just need to either be anchored by a stone or attached to bogwood or decorations I have used elastic bands to attach an anubias I am trying to bring back in Henry's tank but that is one of four anubias I have :) they are excellent plants for bettas as they can lie on the leaves

9. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

They don't need heavily planted tanks, though it helps. They just need a lot of cover in the tank. Decorations, caves and so on. Easiest way to cover the tank is to buy water sprite and java fern and let it have at.

I would start with one betta in the 10gal. Then maybe a month or 2 or 3 down the line you can divide it for another one. It's a good way to keep you busy and keep the excitement alive.

Beta- ranking or placement / pre-product, prototype, tester.

Betta- really awesome fish.

10. Jakob VNew MemberMember

flakes, no divider it could stress fish out even if they both calm down and you think its fine to take the divider out then your wrong they will go right after each other.

11. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Oh, pellet foods are best for bettas. less chance of them swallowing air and there are better brands of pellets. NLS, Omega one, Attitsons, Kens and such are all good brand betta pellets. New Life Spectrum is the best.

12. CodyJValued MemberMember

Other members might disagree but I think that having 2 female bettas would be ok

13. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Only if the tanks divided or the dom female will kill the other one.

14. riptide904Valued MemberMember

I wouldn't have two females without a divide in a ten gallon, maybe in a bigger tank with more cover. With a divide, they'd be good. I think someone said that if two divided bettas don't calm down after a week or two, or if you notice them biting at their own fins, they should be in separate tanks. I think it might help to put a plant in front of the divider, blocking some of their vision?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice