So i just inherited a new 5 gallon tank.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jmcdaniel0, Dec 11, 2012.

1. j

jmcdaniel0 New Member Member

My birthday just came and went, however my wife thought it would be cool to get me a 5 gallon desk top tank, which is great, but my only experience is in Salt water tanks. I used to have a 250 gallon Reef tank (About 3 years ago), I have pretty much been out of the fish scene since then.

My problem is, my wife knows 0 about fish, and bought me three feeder gold fish, and a mystery snail, stuck them in the tank with untreated water, and had them set up on my desk at work.

I have since pulled the fish out, treated the water, and have them back in, but the tank is just now cycling.

I have two Anubias barteri potted plants (small)

Natural, aquarium gravel, and a genneric plastic decoration.

the tank came with a Fluval, Heater, pre set to 78 degrees,

Mini Might power filter.

I have added an intank Thermometer

A small air stone, and pump

I took a Liquid test kit, and checked my water 3 days after I did a 50% water change and i came up with

PH: 7.5 ppm
    Ammonia: 0.25ppm
    Nitrite:0 ppm
    Nitrate: 0ppm

Now I have just taken another reading.

7 days later my readings are

PH: 7.6ppm
    Ammonia: 2.0ppm
    Nitrite:5.0ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm

Is this tank cycling correctly? am I on track? I would have preferred to do it with out fish, but I have no where to put them.

Any Ideas are appreciated.

2. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

2 and 5 for ammonia and nitrites is pretty bad, I think you really need prime or some kind of ammonia and nitrite treater. I'm no expert in cycling though. And You need to give the goldfish back, three need a 40 gallon tank.

3. OP
    OP
    j

Well see, I don't know where she got them, and these are the feeder type, that cost .25 cents, and the local pet store says they don't take them back... So I am at a loss. I put the plants in hoping they would help with the process.

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Yes the tank is cycling. You've got a very high bioload so your parameters are going to be wacky. In the long run, your goldfish will far outgrow the 5 gallon. The snail will be fine though. I hope your wife isn't offended by you having to change a few fish around.

How often are you doing water changes?

5. C

The amount of waste the fish will produce is going to overwhelm a 5 gallon. I don't think plants will help much. Do you have a friend with a fish that eats feeders?

6. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

looks like a good reason to get back into fish and get alarger tank, lol.

7. OP
    OP
    j

We just bought my Daughter a 10 gallon for Xmas, so I am going to try and let these guys ride it out, and ill move them to her tank asap. I am doing partial changes every 3 days or so at this point,

I do have a friend that has a Large Oscar that would love my gold fishes. That is a thought.

8. OP
    OP
    j

Ok so just to update you all and get some more info.

I tested today again and my numbers:

PH- 7.6
    Ammonia- 0.0
    Nitrite- 0.0
    Nitrate- tested more than 10.0 but less than 20 ppm, by color, So I am guessing 15ppm

I am going to do a water change today for the nitrate levels... But my PH is still pretty high, whats a good way to lower it?

Also, do the rest of these numbers look correct?

9. C

Everything looks great. There is nothing wrong with your pH at all. My pH is 8.4 and I don't mess with it.

10. OP
    OP
    j

Great!!! Thanks!!!

11. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

3 feeders will get VERY BIG, and need nothing less than a 75g tank, FAR more if you can manage. Not even a school of tetra or danios can thrive in a 5g... some would say get 1 betta... but I still feel they need a 10g to be happy... I'd send the fish back and sell the tank on craigslist and get a bigger tank before you start keeping fish... not much can be happy in a 5g... not sure why they sell anything less than 10g, probably just to make a buck, but it certainly isn't for fish keeping.

2 of these are feeders:
    104_1271.sized.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    j

Yep. I moved them to my Daughters Ten Gallon for now, she has no fish yet, but wants to get her own, so I am in the process of setting up a 55 gallon tank at my house, once that is set up, I am going to put them in there, until this spring/summer, and Ill put them in my pond outside. It is a 1350 gallon oval with waterfall, and a "Turbo-Flo" inline Ultraviolet System, it uses bio-falls & skimmers for mechanical filtration.

I have some smaller fish in there, including one Brim that my daughters friends caught in my Stocked pond on the farm, and stuck in there. So we should be good to go.

In my 5.5 gallon tank on my desk at work, I have 2 White cloud minnow a Mystery Snail, and 2 African Dwarf Frogs. Which need approx. 2 gal of water per frog. Per three exclusive Aquarium stores. I double check my info this time. Currently, I am doing a 20% change weekly, and my levels are great.

13. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Welcome JMC and welcome back to Multiple tank syndrome!!!! Glad to have you with us and I'm so happy you have found a temporary solution to your wonderful surprise gift!

Glad to have you with us and would love to see pictures of that pond when it's spring time!

Good luck with the 5.5g tank... I kept a betta in one my mother had given me for many years, and have kept Red cherry shrimp in one as well.

14. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Awesome! Then you should be all set :)

15. f

fishlover123456 New Member Member

the tank is cycling fine i suggest taking the goldies back because they need cold water and i bigger tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice