So I have to do a statistics project for my math class...

AverageAquarist22
As the title states, I have to do a statistics project and ask some people take surveys lol. I got to come up with the question myself though so I decided to do a fish topic. I put this is in the betta forum because my question(s) are about bettas.. here goes I guess. The topic I chose is lifespan of bettas sold at PetCo vs. lifespan of bettas bought from local fish stores. The questions are: have you bought bettas from both PetCo and a local fish store? If so, did one live longer than the other, or did they have equal life spans? Which lived longer? I have to get at least 40 different answers so I thought I’d ask you guys to make it easier I hope I put this in the right section, feel free to move it if I didn’t . Also just thought I’d put this out there so I don’t seem rude, but it’s entirely optional to answer these survey questions and I’m not forcing anyone to tell me anything about their experiences with PetCo vs. local fish stores. I’d appreciate if you could contribute to the survey and it would help me out with my schoolwork, but you absolutely don’t have to if you don’t want to. Thanks!

JustAFishServant
Hah, never seen a question like this before! Luckily, I have an answer

I've been rescuing Bettas from deplorable conditions for over 7 years. I don't usually get them from the source, but rather folks who either ask for help or refuse it. I've gotten ones from pet stores (including Petco), a few local fish stores, several buy & sell sites, and even Walmart when they still sold fish. I have to be completely honest here, I haven't noticed much of a difference. The oldest Betta I had was a boy named Ghast, he apparently came from a Petco and lived to the ripe old age of 6 years, the second oldest being my "heart pet" Bluestar who was my first and lived to about 4 (she would've lived longer if the heater didn't malfunction...) I had a friend awhile back who had an 8-year-old boy named Steven, also came from Petco I believe.

The question here shouldn't be where they came from, but how they were raised and bred. On average, ethically bred Bettas live much, much longer than those bred for profit. Anyway, hope this helps with your project! Good luck

The_fishy
I’ve also found them to be about the same. Good luck!

AverageAquarist22
Thanks! Unfortunately my teacher won’t let anyone change their subjects once they’re confirmed, so this is what I’ll have to stick with.. I bet it’ll still make an interesting project though! :)

Betta'sAnonymous
I have had bettas from local stores and chain stores. The owner of one of the local stores said often times keeping a fish alive for multiple years speaks more to the skill of that fishkeeper rather than where they got it.

Patman0519
AverageAquarist22 said:
As the title states, I have to do a statistics project and ask some people take surveys lol. I got to come up with the question myself though so I decided to do a fish topic. I put this is in the betta forum because my question(s) are about bettas.. here goes I guess. The topic I chose is lifespan of bettas sold at PetCo vs. lifespan of bettas bought from local fish stores. The questions are: have you bought bettas from both PetCo and a local fish store? If so, did one live longer than the other, or did they have equal life spans? Which lived longer? I have to get at least 40 different answers so I thought I’d ask you guys to make it easier I hope I put this in the right section, feel free to move it if I didn’t . Also just thought I’d put this out there so I don’t seem rude, but it’s entirely optional to answer these survey questions and I’m not forcing anyone to tell me anything about their experiences with PetCo vs. local fish stores. I’d appreciate if you could contribute to the survey and it would help me out with my schoolwork, but you absolutely don’t have to if you don’t want to. Thanks!
Never thought about it,never kept bettas either but you need 40 answers and I'll just use some educated guessing here then.
In my opinion I do t think it much matters where it came from so much as how the fish loved the course of its life,granted they are both store bought so adaptive to unkempt water conditions has happened over time, local or franchise bought it doesnt matter.
L.f.s cram fish in small tanks in bad conditions just like a petco does,may be more knowledgable but still are a store.
What WE do with them when we get them home depends on how long they live I feel.

AverageAquarist22
Sorry it’s been a bit since I messaged this thread... I made a survey in my LFS as well but I thought I’d bump this thread up to try to get as many answers as possible. Thank you for the answers! Everyone’s opinions have been very interesting to read about so far. I still have to stick with the topic I chose unfortunately, but now I know for if I need to take surveys like this ever again!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom