Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

So I Got The Go-ahead For Big Tank But...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by YATT, Apr 4, 2019.

1. YATTWell Known MemberMember

I’m wondering how much work it’ll be to maintain.

Right now I have a 20g long with neons and golden white clouds. Got it stable and on cruise control. I’m using RO water (at home) due to crappy and inconsistent water. This tank is fairly easy and I’m a clean freak so it gets a good cleaning every two weeks minimum. Gravel, walls, break down hob, etc. basically clean. Weekly water changes.

So, my wife just said I could put a tank here.
    5BEAC8B0-C1D5-469F-9869-C7D0752170D0.jpeg

Wall to wall it is 73”. Trim to trim on the floor is 70”. So I could fit the standard 72.5” tank but it would be CLOSE. Cost aside I’m wondering about maintenance. I hear big tanks are easier to not kill fish but are the easier to maintain? I’d be willing to buy the necessary parts/equipment but wonder how much time I’ll be spending on it. I haven’t even thought about what type of fish yet. I could do a 60” tank also leaving 6” on each side. Not sure what to do here.

Appreciate input and thoughts besides “just do it!”

2. Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

It will be all depend your setup and equipment keep in mind bigger you go more expensive to be as well more bigger larger volume water will need to be change.. If you go big don't be cheap on filtration and do not rush think first before you place something down before fill it up with water you can regret that later..

3. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Ooooh luckyyyy! I'd do the 60" just because glass and windex and all. Yes for sure bigger is easier! Pretty much the same maintenance for water changes and vacuuming but a good canister filter hardly EVER needs cleaning. With the new Fluvals (fx4 and fx6) you can drain and refill your tank right from the canister without even opening your tank lid! Only thing you'd need a siphon for is vacuuming once in awhile. And all the FISH! MY next tank is going to be a swimming pool...

4. Annie59Well Known MemberMember

I find them easier to keep myself. Once set not as much cleaning because of the volume of the tank. Smaller tanks get dirtier faster so have to be maintained much more in my opinion. I have a 5 gallon but much prefer the bigger tanks like my 75. Maybe because I have more plants in the bigger tank, I really don't know but it stays a lot cleaner ever with all the fish I can have in it. Now if it were larger fish I would say no it wouldn't be easier because bigger fish equals bigger poop lol.

5. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Not sure what size tank comes at 60”. Most are 48 or 72. A 110 would be 48x18x30. Nice tank for angels or discus. A 125or 150 would be at the 6’ mark and could be used for a huge variety of fish. I’ve always found the bigger the tank the easier the upkeep. A good canister and an hob filter and you should be good to go. Wet/dry and sump would be even better.
    That space is definitely calling for a tank. Next question is that the second floor or is it on a slab?

6. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Do the 60 inch tank .I don't think a 72 would fit the stands are wider then the tank ,your opening is the opposite . You also want to be able to get to all glass besides the back .
    Is that area over open basement space ? Go sump?
    Go sump in the basement if you can ! Simple 4-6 inch hole in the floor and you are there !

7. YATTWell Known MemberMember

All these enablers. I won’t cheap out on equipment. I like to enjoy and this is a splurge for me. There is a 61” 100g near me. I’ll likely sump it too. I need to do research more but worried about maintenance. Storing the RO water for example.

1E5FFF56-18CB-49B5-A546-DD8EA7B5DE6C.jpeg

Edit. It is on a slab. No weight worries

8. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Sumps are simple and storing water is easy if you can fit a brute somewhere .
    Nice 100g there with built in corner overflow ..
    Freshwater sumps can really be just a bin that has mechanicals and a pump if simplicity is desired .
    They are ,nor need to be anywhere near as complicated as marine sumps .

9. toosieFishlore VIPMember

I liked the basement sump idea, and was thinking you could store RO down there in some kind of tank too, heater included of course... but my dreams for you were dashed when you said it's on a slab. What kind of area do you have to store extra RO water? The sump could go under the main tank with the right stand... but RO water storage is something to definitely consider. With the right stand, I guess you could potentially have a tank instead of a sump, under the main tank to store and heat RO... just thinking out loud, so to speak....

Love the location though! Its gonna look fantastic!!!

10. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

I have sumps on all my tanks. Really low maintenance. Putting a sump in the basement you have to worry about a beefy pump to overcome the headloss due to height.

11. YATTWell Known MemberMember

@toosie I’ll likely get the brute food grade trash cans on wheeled dollies. I can store them in my laundry room. I can’t go to big as I can’t store to much water. I need to calculate the area I need to store it. I can engineer something I think.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  12. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Using a utility pump to transfer the water can make it so that the storage units don't have to have wheels, if that makes things more feasible for you to store more RO. Then you can just remineralize it, and pump it to the tank.

13. DonthemonValued MemberMember

That sure is a perfect spot for a tank!

14. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Agreed ! I see a nicely centered tank with plants above ..The ceiling lights scream for plants above the tank to me !

15. angelfishguppieValued MemberMember

Plants above would be great. FWIW, here is what a 48" tank (72 gal bow) looks like in a similar size spot. The "accent table" under the table cloth to the right is my 20 gallon brute on a dolly. IMG_20190404_213257.jpg

16. YATTWell Known MemberMember

BTW to everyone who has enabled, thanks. I’m starting my excel spreadsheet with all my equipment. Planning on keeping maintenance down. Reading up on sumps and which way to go, etc. want to keep it a very clean display tank.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  17. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Congrats on the green light for the larger tank!!!

Working with a blank slate is perfect

That book looks like it was meant for a tank build !

Before you start, may I make a suggestion.

If possible, either tie in a 2nd electrical outlet to the existing one, or add a double wide outlet with 4 plugs. Also, try to upgrade to GFCI protection

Having 4 plugs will make your electrical cord management under the cabinet easier and cleaner looking.

For sump duty, take a look at Jebao variable flow DC pumps. They have a range of models. Plus they're efficient.

You can ramp up or down the flow as needed.

Especially handy during feeding.

Eventually when I get around to building a 20g or 29g sump for my 75g tank, I plan on using one of their pumps.

Also, consider a small or medium sized canister to supplement the sump. With a canister, you can extend the intake tube down to the bottom corner to suck up muck floating near the bottom.

Point the sump and canister returns from the opposite corner and the detritus will blow across the substrate and the canister intake will pick up a lot of it.

What ever route you take, keep us posted in this thread or a new build thread!

18. FishMommerValued MemberMember

Ah, a thought over looked at times maybe? Glad only cleaning small fish poop right now! ;) But a bigger tank would be fun! Good luck YATT!!!

19. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

20. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

If you do a sump correctly you wont need a canister as a "booster". Also your sump return line can be coupled with a spray bar or an in tank bar to acheive current. Simply install a check valve in the line to prevent backflow. All of my sumps are built that way except for the 100 gallon sump.