So I bought some fish in a car park...

magentatooth

The reason was so I didn’t go to the sellers house... for some reason... They’re supposed to be swordtail but I was wondering if they’re actually a platy?

I have three and he told me they were 2 months old which I think means he doesn’t know anything about them... all a bit “fishy”

How can I tell if sword or platy? They’re lovely fish!

Attachments

FishBoy101

magentatooth said:
The reason was so I didn’t go to the sellers house... for some reason... They’re supposed to be swordtail but I was wondering if they’re actually a platy?

I have three and he told me they were 2 months old which I think means he doesn’t know anything about them... all a bit “fishy”

How can I tell if sword or platy? They’re lovely fish!
I have never had swordtails. I say they are platys.

jkkgron2

Can you get individual pics of all the swordtails? He may just have sold you all females. The one in the pic is a female.

chromedome52

Looks older than 2 months. They are Pineapple Swordtails, gold sword with a strong red saddle marking. Used to be a fairly common strain.

Noroomforshoe

They look like swordtails, they are already longer then taller then a platty would be. I dont think anything Fishy was going on. the fish were probably born from his own fish two months ago. I always try to meet people such as buyers/sellers from Craigs at a populated public place, it's just safer. If you want a male maybe he will sell you one, but your tank will be much calmer with just females.

Mcasella

The fish pictured is a young male, its gonopodium is starting to develop/form. You should see the sword start developing as well.
Straight pineapple aren't as common, people seem to want to add wag into the look.

magentatooth

Ok super, thank you! I've added them in to a tank with other swords, so was hoping not to result with platy sword hybrids. This is good :)!

qldmick

Their already hybridized, that's how the different swordtail and platy lines were created.

Top Bottom