So I Bought A 120....

1. J

Justin Miller New Member Member

Ok so I just picked up a 120... A little bit bigger than my current 30. I have some wood and stone to put in it but I also want some plants. I plan on building a canopy with 4 Ustellar 60W LED Flood 4800lm, 5000K Daylight White which would put me at 2w per gallon. I want to keep it kind of on the low maintenance side I would like suggestions on substrate and plants. I have no plans to dose ferts or co2. Thanks for the help.

2. ashark8me

ashark8me Valued Member Member

I used black diamond blasting sand in my 125. Any of the "fancy" substrates would have been waaaaay too expensive for the amount I would need, and I wanted black. I don't dose ferts, but I grow pretty low demand plants and keep plenty of fish in there to keep the nutrients up in the water column for them. I do have a couple of fairly undemanding root feeders that I throw some root tabs in the substrate for but again, I'm keeping it simple and it's working fine.

3. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a 120, i used play sand i always do, plants elodea but they all got ate by my silver dollars and sevrum, i use a 3ft multicolour led an a white led bar. Cheap as chips but looks the part. 50a86ad847acae9b59a0a9ee9cb47186.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    J

Justin Miller New Member Member

I was thinking that I wanted to go sand instead of gravel with this build. I want black sand but I might get vetoed by the fiance. I gravel vac every couple of weeks do you do the same with sand?

5. ashark8me

ashark8me Valued Member Member

For that much black sand I'd look into the black diamond blasting sand.

I don't vacuum my sand because I have a layer of soil under it and that would mess it up but with my 300 gallon saltwater that just had sand in it, I did vacuum that.