So I am doing an aquarium...

1. L

Liv Mousseau New Member Member

Long story short. Ive always accidentally killed fish and as a result havent had fish since i was like 7.

I won my son a fish at the carnival which somehow made me want an aquarium... needless to say im now the owner of a fish who still lives in his bowl and a 10 gallon tank
    its my first set up and what i have so far is

10 gallon tank
    whisper filter
    whisper air pump
    heater
    accessories
    my friend said the bulbs are flourescent but im open to changing them.
    i want to start a live environment (plants and fish) that I could move to a bigger tank in 6-12 months
    also idk what kind of fish but we want colourful for my son but cool for me lol

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know how to cycle a tank? For a 10g you can't do much, but I guess you could either add emerald tetra's or a beta with some shrimp and snails.

3. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Sadly, a 10 gallon will only let you comfortably house a small school of a micro species, a betta, or a single pea puffer.

I would opt to upgrade to a 20 gallon if you'd like more of a variety, but a planted tank with a single Betta or a school of Ember Tetra/Micro Rasbora does look pretty awesome.

There is a great sticky about stocking a 10 gallon on this forum. On mobile, so I can't link it, but a quick search in the forum will bring it up, poster is Anders247 I believe, or very close.

Plants actually have a benefit of letting a small school fill the aquarium more than you think.

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

What's the fish you won? A betta or two(with a separator) and some shrimp would be nice.:)

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

6. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Is the fish in the bowl a goldfish, by chance? In which case it needs to be upgraded out of the bowl and into a tank, the size of which depends on what sort of goldfish it is.

If it's some other sort of fish then you may have the beginning of an answer as to what sort of tank, tankmates, and so on you need to contemplate.

If you're not sure of what you have, post a photo! Someone can then direct you further.

Happy fishkeeping!

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum! Our family also enjoys fish keeping together (well I do all the real work of testing the water, changing the water weekly, etc). This is a great place to learn so much about the hobby. I recommend the Getting Started stickied thread at the top of this forum. I don't know how to link it sorry. Keep asking questions here and you will keep learning! And best of all no one here is trying to sell you anything (unlike at pet stores).

8. maggie thecat

9. Grimund

Thanks! I knew someone would post it!

It's debated, but a single Honey Gourami in a 10 gallon with a smaller school of 8 fish, I like ember tetra (there's other micro fish), and shrimp on the bottom.

Throw in low light plants and a few floating ones, and you have a 10 gallon community!

Like I said, the Honey will be contested with most, but most sites I found info from consider pairs or groups and not necessarily a single specimen. It's also a setup I've considered a lot

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't do a honey gourami in a 10 gal (sorry, I have to say something). It's too small and they do like being in pairs or groups, so a larger tank is better.

11. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

I just hope its not a gold fish! Usually carnivals give goldfish since gold fish can cost less than a $1 while bettas might be $4. If it is a goldfish, depending on what kind your going to need at least a 40 breeder. Petco is having a dollar per gallon sale till July 17 so...

12. Grimund

It's fine. I expected someone to. I've read that they do well as a solitary fish as well as paired and grouped. Only reason I considered it for a potential 10 build

13. A

The problem with the 10 gallon list is not everyone has access to those kinds of fish. Some might only have their local Petco or Petsmart.

14. Grimund

Internet. Shipping is a pain, but doable

15. maggie thecat

That is not a good answer, and I say that as someone who does probably 95% of their shopping online.

Why? Because when you pick out fish by their profiles you have no way of actually judging jf you'll feel the same way about the live fish.

2 If the fish is inappropriate for your tank, you may end up stuck with it, based on how your lfs feels about taking in fish they don't stock, and from a non customer at that.

3 Not everyone is on a reliable shipping route. For some reason, things crossing the Mississippi going west to east have a lot harder, longer and more circuitous trip than those going east to west, and that doesn't matter if it's a letter or a parcel marked Next Day.

4 Many, (Not All!) new fishkeepers don't have the experience necessary to acclimate shipped fish. And since most sellers insist the only fish they'll replace is those dead on arrival, it means the purchaser has no replacement recourse, where a local lfs will refund or replace.

There are other reasons, but especially for someone just starting out, it's best to go local.

16. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

I have the same question. What kind of fish is the one in the bowl that you are starting with? Can you post a picture?
    Can you upgrade to a 20g opening up your options considerably?
    If the fish you won is a goldfish, 20g is likely not even big enough for the fish when grown depending on the kind it is. You also need serious filtration with the high bio load of a goldfish.

Also, read up on the nitrogen cycle if you do not know about it yet.

17. Grimund

maggie thecat - research. It's whether or not the person is willing to go through the effort to look into the options and weigh them. Not everyone jumps on the Internet for pretty fish shipped to the door.

The fact is that it is an option to acquire the fish on the list, not found locally.

It may not be the best option for a lot of people, I already know that, but there are people willing to be serious about fish keeping enough, but don't know the other viable options or don't have a good reference to go with.

18. maggie thecat

This isn't the place for this discussion. The thread is for a newbie, just starting out, with an unknown species of fish. Discussing how to obtain potentially esoteric or difficult to source stock is the least of their problems.

19. A

Agree with maggie thecat and somewhat of Grimund. Research is an important thing though. Youtube is one of the best ways to see whether you like a fish if you can't see it first person. With Youtube you can witness the fish "live" and see its behaviors. You would also be able to see other people's tanks that they keep the fish in. Although you should research on the web about the fish you should also see videos of it.

20. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

That is such good advice. I was considering celestial pearl danios but wondered how they look since I have never seen them in action. Thanks for the tip!