So How Many Rams Could Feasibly Live In A 30 Gallon Tank?

FriarThomasIII
So I'm thinking of getting some German Rams (maybe electric blue). How many could go in there, and should they be in pairs? Or in a harem with one single male. I've done my research on them and what they need, and I've seen people say they need to be in pairs, but also that they happily live in a harem. Thoughts? What other tank mates are suitable, also?

Greg F
I would say 2 pairs if the tank has a good bit of decor and plants to provide some cover and break up the line of sight.

Albifrons
2 Pairs like Greg F said, or one male with a small herom of a females.

FriarThomasIII
Are they real territorial? I've heard they were quite peaceful. Or do they just squabble?

Rainy day
You could do 2 pairs but I wouldnt say it'd be feasible. I run into issues having 2 pairs in a heavily planted 4 ft tank, I don't think it'd work out better in a 3ft one. If you want to ensure you have the most success you can, I'd just go with a single pair. I've never had a harem work out though I've read others have. You could try it if you'd like though I'd play it safe with just a pair.

EDIT: Yes, they're very territorial. A pair will be towards other rams, at least. They're pretty good with other fish.

FriarThomasIII
Sounds like a plan. How would they deal with my Peppered Corydoras? Do they do well with other bottom feeders?

Rainy day
Sounds like a plan. How would they deal with my Peppered Corydoras? Do they do well with other bottom feeders?

They'll get harassed quite a bit while they're breeding, other than that they should be fine once they establish their territory.

shutterbug13
I'm not sure about how they would get along behaviorally but they won't work together because of temperature incompatibilities. Peppered corys need water around 72F while German blue rams need it around 82F.

FriarThomasIII
It says that the Cories can be in about 72-78, and 78 is in between their temperature range for rams, right?

shutterbug13
Where did you see those temperature ranges? Planet catfish, seriously fish, and fishbase are the most reliable sources.
Planet catfish puts peppered corys ranges at 55-77 and seriously fish has 76-86 for german blue rams; that is only a temp overlap of 2 degrees. It's not a good idea to keep fish at the extreme ends of their temp ranges as it shortens their lifespan, sometimes significantly.

Mikrogeophagus ramirezI – Ram (Apistogramma ramirezi, Papiliochromis ramirezi, Microgeophagus ramirezi)

JeffK
I'd stick with just a pair in a 30 gal tank, but peppered cories are not temperature compatible with ramirezI - Bolivian Rams could work though - they prefer cooler temps and also like more company of their own kind - you could probably stock 4 of them in a 30 gal tank - 2 pair, 1 male with 3 females, or even all females

FriarThomasIII
makes sense. I think I'll do the Bolivians instead.

Rainy day
Oops, yeah Shutterbug is right, the rams need it to be a lot hotter than the corys. 82-84 is what your tank should be at for blue rams.

shutterbug13
makes sense. I think I'll do the Bolivians instead.
Bolivian rams are generally hardier too, good choice!

FriarThomasIII
Bolivian rams are generally hardier too, good choice!
Tankmates? I've heard of people doing cardinals, but I'd like tank mates as small as I can get. Thanks

shutterbug13
Tankmates? I've heard of people doing cardinals, but I'd like tank mates as small as I can get. Thanks
Cardinals need warmer water but you could do neons instead. Harlequin rasboras would work too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ravynn
Replies
Views
Anders247
Top Bottom