So furious....

1. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I just got a new betta from ebay. A lovely chocolate DTHM.

Well he arrived looking like his fins went through a blender. Super stressed, worse than any domestic betta I've ever received in the mail, and thin for his size.

Grr. I emailed the seller to see if he'll do anything about it. Next step if he won't is probably going to be finally making use of that ebay buyer protection program.

Poor fish. You can tell he's a real beauty in there somewhere.

DSCF6693 (1280x721).jpg

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Aww, poor thing:( At least he is in good hands now:) I'm sure that with your care he will be looking good in no time:)

3. TJBender Well Known Member Member

What the heck? I'd file a claim for sure. No way do those fins recover fully.

4. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Had experiences like this with ebay, ordered four assassin snails, one was DOA and the other had horrible shells. My tank sorted them out though, they where so happy in there and ate all my pond snails really quickly.

I hope he at least gives you a refund or SOME money back, that poor fish looks like battered. I'd leave negative feedback regardless.

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah... I was really, really hoping to get a good idea of his overall form, as I planned to breed him. Hopefully he recovers enough for that, at least. Good news is, even if his fins aren't perfect form-wise, I'm breeding for something that looks nothing like most of the breeding standards, to show in variations.

Grr. Seriously grr. This guy is not on my good side >.<

6. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I ordered a load of duckweed from a seller on there, I was over the moon when it arrive because they was so much! Too much for my tank even. When I put it in a bucket to give it a clean HUGE and I mean HUGE worms came from it. There where scuds, even some daphnia in it. Some bugs I'd never even seen before. I complained and all I got was "send it back and I will refund you" Oh yeah I'll just bag up all this weed and just send it back...

Make him burn for it, I would. Makes you think of the state his other fish are in that he plans on selling.

7. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

this is horrible what happened to the poor thing it looks like he put 2 males in the same tank i hope ur little fishy gets better soon :(

8. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I mean it's probably just damage from breeding combined with not clean enough water in recovery. It's just upsetting that he wouldn't disclose that in the ad. He has another fish for sale too with just as pathetic of photos... sure that one is damaged as well.

Hopefully he gets back to me soon and we can get it resolved.

9. TJBender Well Known Member Member

This thread, among others, makes me wonder if that's not a more common mishap than we'd like to believe. Bettas are skilled jumpers, and if a breeder is keeping several in breeder boxes in a larger tank, it's not outside the realm of possibility that an enterprising fish could jump into someone else's box, get around a divider, etc. That I can understand. Selling and shipping the fish without disclosing its condition I could not.

10. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

He has ammonia holes. That's not from another fish being in his tank. Which is why I suspect breeding damage combined with dirty water.

11. TJBender Well Known Member Member

JB, are the ammonia holes visible in the picture you posted?

12. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

They're tiny... you can see the thin spots on his anal fin if you blow the picture up though.

13. TJBender Well Known Member Member

Ah, there they are. I was about to say that you either snapped a very flattering picture, or you were using a magnifying glass to find the holes ;)

14. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

lol no, I had to go outside for the picture just to be able to see him, as he's the same color as my walls (mud brown). In that light, some things just look like fuzzy light spots instead of holes.

15. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

The Betta (Eddie) I bought off eBay arrived last week in a pretty similar, sorry state. He two has very damaged fins and lots of ammonia burns in his anal fin... looks horrendous compared to the picture before his travels! The seller will do nothing for me unless I send him back. He cost me £40. It's not so much the money as the sorry state of him therefore, he will most certainly not be returning from the he came from.
    $_57 (1).JPG WP_20140724_065.jpg

I wish you luck with your seller but be prepared! I am considering going the "not as described" route myself.

Most of all we wish you and your new Betta the best of luck on your recovery :D

Attached Files:

16. TJBender Well Known Member Member

IMO, go the "items not as described" route. If the seller shows you a picture of a happy, healthy betta then sends you a betta with physical damage and shredded or short fins. well, let's just say that eBay, like Amazon, almost always sides with the buyer.

17. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

That's the plan. I find it interesting that the seller was very responsive during the sale, when I had to ask for his random "no PO box mailing address" to be removed from the shipping info. Now that the fish is here, I haven't heard back.

18. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Awh poor guy :(

At least he is in good hands now.

19. kittykat0725 Member Member

Leave very negative feed back so no one else buys from that seller. Poor thing! I hope he gets better soon.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

He finally emailed me back. Asked what I wanted to do to fix it. Regardless of if he issues a refund or not, he's not getting nice feedback from me.