so far so good

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by polojoanne, Dec 31, 2009.

1. p

polojoanne Valued Member Member

are the signs good ?

well so far so good day 6 neons and schwartz cory lookin good done 2 25%water changes and off to fish shop to test water for the first time so fingers crossed all ok

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Hi PJ, Good luck with the water testing and happy new year.

Nick

3. OP
    OP
    p

ok guys nitrate 40 nitrite between 0 and 0.5 ph 7.5 hardness 40 kh hardness 80. they didnt measure ammonia and cant afford test kit til next week so how are these numbers looking ??

4. OP
    OP
    p

am i mid cycle ?

nitrate 40 nitrite between 0 and 0.5 ph 7.5 am i in the cycle should we carry on with partial water changes and stress coat ??

5. g

Nitrate is very high. You will need to do a water change, at least 50% today.

6. OP
    OP
    p

ok will do it now thank you should we add our stress coat in the clean water, what will happen next ahhhhhh this is scary

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Your threads have been merged. It's best to ask one question in one place. It's easier for you to keep track of suggestions and other members can see what's already suggestion.
    Thanks & Good luck :)

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I would continue daily water changes until you can get a proper test kit..sounds like your LFS uses the strips as well and they arent reliable....so to be safe, id do the daily changes

9. Lucy

Without an ammonia reading, it's hard to tell where you are in the cycle.
    It could be sky high or 0. :;dk
    Any chance you can get a shop to test and give you the reading?

10. g

You will need to add aqua safe to any fresh water you put back in tank to make it non harmful to your fish. If you can get prime to nuetralize the ammonia then i would suggest you get some(this is only affective for 24 hours). You will need to do daily water changes to reduce your nitrate to at the most 20.

11. OP
    OP
    p

thanks weve just done a 50%change an weve got major drama a neon has vanished we checked each bucket thoroughly and checked every rock and plant ?????

still cant find missing neon could he be in the filter i lifted lid but no sign this is very upsetting and a mystery !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  12. Lucy

:-\ I'm sorry you can't find the little guy.

13. bettafish2816

bettafish2816 Fishlore VIP Member

sorry to hear that :( check the filter if you can, it's possible he got stuck on there. if your lid isn't on tight he may have jumped out although i doubt it, so check the area around the tank. do you have any other pets that could have snatched him?

keep up the water changes until you know what your ammonia levels are, and if you can use Prime to neutralize that ammonia, but daily water changes are necessary since it only works for 24 hours as mentioned

14. OP
    OP
    p

ok day 8 of new tank todays readings are nitrate 15 nitrite 0 and ammonia 0.25 i presume this is quite good so were pleased with ourselves for gettin this far, added a plant today too and purchased ammonia and nitrate and nitrite test kit and some prime all 6 fish still looking good.

15. OP
    OP
    p

are things looking ok from todays water tests and our water changes etc feel like weve turned a corner !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice