So exited.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I might be gable to get a 50 gallon tank with the stand, lights, filter, the works, for just $200CDN and it is really close to where I live(maybe about 10 mins). I would of course probably replace my 28 gallon since I don't like the stand of the 28 since it is just a steel frame and moves like crazy when I do a water change. Here is a link to it:

Tom

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow cooll, that sounds like a really good deal! Just curious what type of filter it actually has on it, though even if you had to replace it that would still be a pretty good deal for a 50 Gal. Good Luck with it if you do buy it!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Luniyn said:
Wow cooll, that sounds like a really good deal! Just curious what type of filter it actually has on it, though even if you had to replace it that would still be a pretty good deal for a 50 Gal. Good Luck with it if you do buy it!
The only problem is the owner doesn't know if it has a canopy or or not.
Tom

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh I thought that black thing on top was the light for the hood, just did the zoom in view to see that it looks more like a 2 chamber bio-wheel which would be very nice. As for a hood, did he say what the dimensions of the tank were? If it's a standard size, there are some pretty decient prices on hoods. Just a matter of what kind of light you would want that causes the price to get up there :-\.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Luniyn said:
Oh I thought that black thing on top was the light for the hood, just did the zoom in view to see that it looks more like a 2 chamber bio-wheel which would be very nice. As for a hood, did he say what the dimensions of the tank were? If it's a standard size, there are some pretty decient prices on hoods. Just a matter of what kind of light you would want that causes the price to get up there :-\.
They still haven't gotten back to me yet. But either way, I could just go to the local pet store, which I might add also sells used equipment, and buy a used canopy for maybe 1/2-1/4 the regular cost and set on the surface. Either way, I am still going to be soooooo happy if my parnets allow me to get it. That way I can get rid of the wobbly 28 gallon and make my tetra school bigger. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tom

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good luck with it. Sounds like even if you have to go to that pet store you are still getting a pretty sweet deal.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know, my dad thinks it might not be worth it if it won't fit where I want it to go, and sadly, neither do I. But I know that it will fit perfectly and I will be able to get more lemon tetras.
Tom

EDIT:
I just an email back from the person and they gave me the measurements of the tank and stand. I found out it is really only a 37 gallon and not the 50 gallon like I had hoped for. I would still have to talk to my parents about it. It would just fit in the spot that I want it to go in. I hope to still upgrade to the larger tank, that is a whole 9 extra gallons, that would be enough to support my new angel.
Tom

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
I saw a guy on my local craigslist who is sellin his 150 GALLON TANK WITH ACCESSORIES AND A STAND FOR ONLY $290 USD. Judging on the level of equipment decribed, thats about probably $2000 less than what he paid for it. amazing. Now if only I had the room and finnancial needs for it....lol ;D

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I went and picked up the tank last night, it was $25 cheaper since we found out we knew the guy. He also said it was cheaper since I was going to buy a used canopy for it. The stand is not in the greatest condition and the tank needed to be cleaned badly, but that is all done. My dad said I need to rearrange the room that it is going into for it to fit but I did the measurements before and it would fit if I put it there right now. I am soooo happy I have it now, I can opefully expand my tetra school. ;D ;D ;D
Tom

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new tank!

Sarcastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
awesome, Tom, congratulations. Post some pics when you're up and running.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome, have fun with it!! ;D

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will have lots of fun, but I can't set it up for a week or so because I have to finish raking our back yard and rake someone elses yard first, as well as make the stand a little stonger and not as wobbly. I have one question though. Would I be able to just tranfer the water into the new tank, move the gravel as is and then add the fish after it all sttles down the next day? or would I have to cycle the whole tank?
Tom

Sarcastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tom said:
............I have one question though. Would I be able to just tranfer the water into the new tank, move the gravel as is and then add the fish after it all sttles down the next day? or would I have to cycle the whole tank?
Tom
I've just transferred the entire contents of my old, 30 gallon to a new 46 gallon - kept the old filter wet while transferring and added a second one, and I was careful to add all the gravel precisely from the old tank to the new tank. I have kept my gravel well vacuumed and free of large particles, so it wasn't nasty. So far so good - but I'm watching the ammonia & nitrite levels closely to be certain.

The general advise was that this should work. The one warning I got was that I should feed the fish less for a couple of weeks to be on the safe side.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, thanks.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I finally got the tank up and running without fish. I still have to add teh gravel and a heater but next weekish, when I tranfer all the gravel over, I will have the heater in there so it will heat it up while I do the finishing touches. Now my fish in that tank will have a little more room to swim in than before.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank is running with the fish in it already and plants and the fish rea;;y seem to like it. The tetras school with the dwarf loaches and the skunk loach still doesn't really know what to make of the dwarves but is schooling with them non the less. I am so happy.
Tom

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Time for pictures! ;D

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pics maybe will be taken tomorrow.
Tom