so excited

1. deon junior Member Member

:;banaman i bought a 40gl tank with filter heater and just about everything else for $60. i am so excited to set it up. i will put some pics up soon. i want to stock it with:

10 Platys
    3 Honey Gouramis
    6 Corys
    and 1 or two big fish

any comments?

2. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

congrats!

3. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

NICE! That is fantastic; congratulations!

4. deon junior Member Member

would a few rainbow fish be able to fit in as well?

5. Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

Rainbows like schools, so you'd really need to pick a small rainbow species. What were you thinking for a larger fish, or would a rainbow school be instead of 1-2 larger?
    This tank of yours is similar in size and comparable stock to one of my tanks. I have fit 3 Madagascar rainbow fish in. I'd like the school to be double this but the lfs lacked stock at the time. I think you can though, as long as you're careful and slow with the introduction!

Also, that's one sweet deal on the price!

6. deon junior Member Member

i dont know what big fish, i need some ideas!

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'd pass on the rainbows and maybe get a couple kribs? Or maybe a pair of angels.

8. deon junior Member Member

i wanted to get some angels then someone said a 40gl isnt big enough.

9. deon junior Member Member

ok so i was thinking that this is my new stock list:

5 platys
    5 guppies
    2 angels/2 kribs/4 dwarf honey gouramis
    6 corys

would ths be ok or could i add more?

10. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Platies and guppies will breed like mad, and your fish will very much enjoy them. My cherry barbs adore a midnight snack or two:p You could probably add about 10 small schooling fish if you took out the platies/ guppies. Other than that, your pretty much stocked. Have fun with thy new tank!

11. deon junior Member Member

ok my plans have changed! my 20gl wich had neon,diamond,rummy-nose,serpae and head and glass blood fin tetras has been left empty because of ich that killed all but 1 neon, 1 serpae and 1 diamond tetra. so this 20gl is now going to be stocked with guppys,platys and corys.

so now i need other ideas for my 40gl
    remebering that my water is mildly hard and alkaline. also i dont want any fragile fish.

please i am out of ideas! :;soldier

12. escapay Well Known Member Member

Do you plan on keeping those fish from the 20 gal? If so, maybe move them to the 40gallon and make schools of at least 6.

13. deon junior Member Member

no i dont plan getting any more tetras they are all i have had for like a year now. i was thinking maybe a few rainbows and a pleco for my 40gl?

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

What type of rainbow are you thinking of getting? I have to say that the majority will quickly outgrow the 40gal tank. Some of the smaller varieties such as the praecox or thread fin even the dwarf rainbows would be great for that tank.

15. deon junior Member Member

i dont know. how big do the dwarf rainbows get? and are they hard or keep

16. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have not found any difficulty in keeping my rainbows I have both austrailian and bosemani in my tank and are very easy to take care off, just like LOTS of swimming space. As for the size of the dwarfs they get up to around 2 inches

I Also need to correct my self the praecox rainbow is the other name for a dwarf rainbow (Not to confuse others)

17. deon junior Member Member

i really like the bosemani rainbow fish and because i live in australia i can find just about any type of rainbow for sale. so how many dwarf could i fit in my tank?

18. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I love the bosemani as well, that is actually the fish that got me into rainbows, I have a few already and they are very nice fish. As for the dwarfs, I would think you could happily do a nice school of at least 8 in a 40gal assuming its the standard size footprint and not a tall hexagonal tank. You can also look into the thread fin rainbows, they have really nice flowing fins.

19. deon junior Member Member

if i did a school of 6 could i add another school of smaller fish?

20. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would say yes, along with some cleanup on the bottom. I would think the following would work well

6 Dwarf rainbows or threadfin rainbows
    6 Chery Barbs
    8 Harlequin rasboras
    6 cories of your choice (Not emerald cores as they are not true cories)
    Nerite snails for algae control

Personally I think that would be a very colorful setup in the tank as the largest fish in that group doesn't normally exceed 2 inches. Should make for a very colorful tank.