So disheartening

erinw347

I’m so stressed out with how this is playing out.

I started out with 6 angelfish and got three pairs out of them. So I eventually rehomed two of the pairs. I kept my favorite female and her boyfriend. But not it looks like they’re going through a “divorce”. He is being so rough with her and they both look tattered and awful. It’s so upsetting to watch because I gave up everything i could for them just to hate each other. I don’t know what to do. Angelfish aren’t supposed to be kept by themselves but I don’t see another option at this point. It was so bad this morning, the only thing I could think to do was distract them with food. That probably gives me half an hour before they start up again. They’ve stopped spawning completely. It looks like my best option to try to get them back together is to separate them for a bit and then re introduce them. The best I could do is move my male to a 20 high. My poor betta is probably sick of me moving him around constantly too because I have to adjust to the angelfish so much.

What would help. What would get it to work. Should I add a ditherfish to distract them maybe? the only other things in their tank is a bristlenose and some kuhli loaches and they stay out of each other’s business completely. Would a top level ditherfish keep them distracted..?

I just don’t know what to do at this point.

babyfish

I am so sorry about your fish. This is the same thing that happend to me with my convict breeding pair a while ago. Sadly mine were split for several months, and I have tried almost everything, but no matter how hard I tried they just hated each other. Time after time of time of trying as much as could I realized I couldn't do anything. I hope your fish aren't the same way, but re introducing might be your best bet. Some times it just doesn't work out. -I wish you luck

erinw347

Okay, this morning I added my female back with my male after about a week. First impressions were good, I just hope it will stay good. Male did some flicks and circles, but they seemed to be “Look, I’m a male you’re a female” kinda things, not aggression. Fingers crossed...

DerekO24

Yeah , mine can be aggressive towards one another also. They’re cichlids so aggression is part of their nature. The question is , what’s normal. I don’t know

kellerjake2004

Maybe adding more angelfish would stop them from fighting so much as there will be more fish to jockey with in the pecking order?

Kitley

I have 5 angels and they are just now starting to bicker. Today I fed them early, which breaks them up, and turned the light off for the night. I am hopefully going to find plexiglass...hopefully not a clear colour...drill holes and put a tank divider in. My problem is that I have three that look alike...so to choose the right ones to separate will not be easy. Best of luck with yours.

erinw347

kellerjake2004 said:
Maybe adding more angelfish would stop them from fighting so much as there will be more fish to jockey with in the pecking order?
I had more at first. But they all paired off and it was worse... these two were a breeding pair. I’m wondering if adding a ditherfish would help.

kellerjake2004

erinw347 said:
I had more at first. But they all paired off and it was worse... these two were a breeding pair. I’m wondering if adding a ditherfish would help.
After reading a bit on it I think that adding dither fish is a good Idea. The angelfish are currently showing off their willingness to breed, their aggression, and territorial nature off to each other all at once. So maybe neon tetras or something like that would probably help fix the problem.

erinw347

I’ve waited to post this in case things changed, but so far I think separating and reintroducing them was successful. They have had 2 spawns since they were reintroduced; one of them they ate, and the other one was laid last night.

The fighting is still present. However, it comes and goes in waves. Sometimes they’re okay for a couple days, sometimes my female gets angry for a couple days. There’s still torn fins; but I will take it if they’re still able to live with each other without killing each other.

Female seems to want full ownership of this spawn. Male is ignoring it all together; I suspect she wanted him to.

I’m glad it worked out the way it did. Once again, not perfect, but I will take it any day.

(Last night’s spawn)

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom