So convict cichlids are pretty easy to breed?

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
So I got 3 small convict cichlids (2 inches maybe), 1 male 2 females, to put in my 180 gallon porch pond. Thought it would be cool to see them breed and their offspring could be feeders for the bigger inhabitants. . . 48 hours after adding them I see a convict guarding a massive group of eggs. . . That didn’t take long. . .

I mean I was pretty sure they’d breed but ****!

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
That's the problem...not only are they easy to breed, but convicts are psychotic, relatively common fishes that are difficult to give away or sell. You're going to have a hard time finding homes for the fry if (when) some survive to adulthood.

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Well they will be sharing the pond with the P bass and large mouth I’m growing out. . . So I’m not too hopeful for their proliferation. . . But who knows.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are awesome to watch. I had a pair in my 150g before. Fiesty but never got bored watching them dart around and be crazy.

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
For a minute I thought they, or the other fish in the pond had eaten their eggs, then I realized the female had move them from the side of the pot to a small indentation in the gravel. . . Then I thought the eggs were eating again, only to find out they had move them again. . . And now I see a number of wigglers and free swimming fry. . . Not sure how long they’ll last, but pretty excited nonetheless. I think technically this is my first successful fish breeding. WOOT! (Actually wait I take that back, my other porch pond produce fry the other day as well. . . Maybe a thread about that later)

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
3C662585-6903-4E6D-A145-DD245641B1BA.jpeg

Those little tiny dots under the stem plant

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ooof. Good luck. I ended up with more fish then water with them.

New Threads