So Confused

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Nicole B, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

Our levels lately have been
    Ammonia .25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5

Today they were
    Ammonia .25
    Nitrite .25
    Nitrate 5

What could be causing nitrite to go up again?? Took out our old plants that had diatoms on them and replaced them with new ones. We soaked them in treated water..
    did a water change yesterday after a week of not doing one 30% with prime and stability. (A little cleaning) in one spot of the tank.
    Anyone know what would cause this?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Billy T

Billy T Valued Member Member

Have you lost any fish?

3. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

No! All are doing good.

4. Billy T

Then hang tight. My Nitrates were at 5 for like 3 or 4 days then got to the 10-20 range. From what I’ve gathered so far while many suggests frequent water changes which is probably best for the fish, it hurts the cycle. On the other hand the seachem techs trust their products and go against the frequent water changes only suggesting no more than 25% and as a few as possible. I’d say if your fish are doing good you’re doing good. Little patience, I know easier said then done trust me lol. But go with you’re heart and gut and keep an eye on your fish and keep asking when in doubt

5. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

We went a week without doing a water change just dosing prime and they all were fine. Even the 2 babies. Then after our water change and adding in some new fake plants the nitrite went up again. Hmm. Confusing.

6. Billy T

The beneficial bacteria is just like us, like the fish, doesn’t like change. Someone else may know better but if you’re Nitrates are at 5 I wouldn’t do a water change until they’re 40 or above. Let the Nitrates take care of the Ammonia and Nitrites

7. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I want to start out with .... This may be totally off base and everyone can take it with a grain of salt and think I am way off base but it is something I have been noticing so here goes....

This seems to happen often when one is dosing with a bacteria booster such as stability but it seems to be the case with other bacteria products too.

Is it possible that the off readings are being caused by the product being added? It seems to me, readings are fine, add product, readings are off. Is there a correlation to be made of that fact? I keep seeing it over and over from so many different threads.

This tells me that the product is doing what it was designed to do and if allowed to complete its job the perimeters will stabilize. I am a firm believer in water changes but that is based on building a natural cycle (no bottled bacteria involved) so normally recommend water changes for most problems.

When adding bacteria one doesn't want to remove it with water changes until it has finished its job. Each product should have directions as to how to use it. If one trusts the product one should follow the directions to a tee. I see a lot of folks panic when they see off readings and immediately add another product or remove the one they have added and that is defeating the purpose of adding the bacteria to begin with.

Something is added to the Bottled bacteria that keeps the bacteria alive in the bottle. Is it possible that this something is what is causing the off readings and if allowed to do its thing it will finish its job and then stabilize.

Patience it the very most important thing to have when cycling a tank. Products are designed to help speed up the process but even they take time and patience.

All of this just to say. I think you are going to continue to get off readings as long as you continue to add a bacteria booster. Your reading were good. You added Stability. You have nitrites again.

And as my first sentence said. I could be way off base. :)

8. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Wow. I never even thought that stability could of been the problem.... I was thinking maybe the new fake plants. Lol
    The bottle says to add it in with every water change though. I was also told by a few people to add it in also.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  9. mattgirl

I am not saying that it is a problem. I am just saying that it could be the cause of the readings you are getting.

10. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

should we try not adding it in next time?

11. mattgirl

That is totally up to you. Lots of folks have used it with good results.

You can find out if it is in fact causing the readings you are getting. This time you added it and got a nitrite reading. Run the test again after a couple of days and see if the nitrite reads 0.

Run the nitrite test again right before your next water change. Add the stability just like you usually do with your water change. Run the nitrite test again. If it registers nitrite that will tell you that you are getting the reading because of the stability. I am not saying that it is causing a problem. It will just explain where the nitrites are coming from.

12. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

We tested a few hours later after the water change yesterday and nitrite was 0. It wasn’t until Today it went up to .25

13. Billy T

From my experience, although only the one cycled 5G tank, with only a baby Betta, I would just try prime every 2 days, pay attention to fish, and try not to water for a week. When my Nitrates reaches 10, they took care of the ammonia and nitrites

14. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Yeah we haven’t gotten up to 10 yet. It stays at 5 is what we’ve noticed. For a few weeks now.

15. Comet-Aurum

Comet-Aurum Valued Member Member

strange when I first started my tank same problem but it stoped in about a month.

16. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Hmm really?

17. mattgirl

Sounds like that shoots holes in my theory :D

At least you do have prime so even if you don't get to the bottom of the nitrite readings it is low enough for Prime to keep it less harmful for your fish.

Even though your tank appears to be cycled it can take time for it to get fully established. It sounds like you are really really close.

18. Comet-Aurum

Comet-Aurum Valued Member Member

yeah it was weird but my fish made it and I made it ;)

19. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

I get excited we are close and then something weird happens! Lol! Our ammonia doesn’t want to go back to 0 either. Stays at .25 but our tap does have ammonia. Maybe our tap had a bit of nitrite even though it hasn’t when we’ve tested. I have no clue.

Edit: nitrite in tap is 0. Wish we knew what was causing it

That is great! Hope our fish make it too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  20. Billy T

After all said and done I think I stressed way more than my fish did

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice