So... again about my tap water i guess

Nickguy5467

Well Known
so i have a tetra mainly tank where my temp is a suggest 76/77 ish but my tap water is 4° higher than that . i did a waterchange today when the thermometer was out of the water it read 75 , so i guess its not my room. been afraid of shocking my fish to dead because of the water being hot(4° difference im calling it hot). i just decided to change the temp range of my inkbird to 80° with 1° drop range. will this be fine? i mean they pretty much currently live in that temp anyway. but if i could the temp would be down by 75.

1 sunset platy
6 black skirts
8 cardinal tetras
1 albino cory

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
measure your tank water with a couple different thermometers? All our tanks have been sitting at 77-80 and even after a 50-75% WC the water is still closer to 80 thats the lowest it comes out of the tap in the summer. Is that what your asking? Your thread seems like it is all over the place sorry.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
kallililly1973 said:
measure your tank water with a couple different thermometers? All our tanks have been sitting at 77-80 and even after a 50-75% WC the water is still closer to 80 thats the lowest it comes out of the tap in the summer. Is that what your asking? Your thread seems like it is all over the place sorry.
done that. its definately my tap water , i only have one tank, but yes the water that comes out of the tap is 81, though i havent directly like put a thermometer in a cup of tap water. after draining 50% of my tank my inkbird thermometer is in the open air of the tank and drops to 74 75, so then ill fill the tank back up and rapidly jumps to 81

so i figured if thats how it has to be, in fear of shocking my fish on accident one day.i set my inkbird to turn the heat on below 79° and it will heat up to 80. and any time it would drop below 79 it would heat up to 80 (it only drops in at night but unless i cool it down with ice it usually stays there at 80.

i mean my fish have been forced to survive in that heat anyway . why not make it stay there since i cant do anything about it seems. thats my thought process

WrenFeenix

Well Known
If you have AC or a basement, your house is probably cooler than your tap water. You could fill a bucket the night before and put it in a cool area.

If not, prepare some dechlorinated water and store it in your fridge. Add it to the water you’re using to cool it down.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
WrenFeenix said:
If you have AC or a basement, your house is probably cooler than your tap water. You could fill a bucket the night before and put it in a cool area.

If not, prepare some dechlorinated water and store it in your fridge. Add it to the water you’re using to cool it down.
i live in a apartment which doesnt provide a/c , but they gave me a heater (yay...) ive been doing the iced water bottle floating but realizing it barely does anything. why bother fluctuating the temp? wouldnt stead be better since its going to end up at that point anyway?

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
i live in a apartment which doesnt provide a/c , but they gave me a heater (yay...) ive been doing the iced water bottle floating but realizing it barely does anything. why bother fluctuating the temp? wouldnt stead be better since its going to end up at that point anyway?
Didn’t you say it’s normally 76-77F? You could just cool it to current tank temp before you add it.

I sometimes have big temp fluctuations when I change water (because I’m dumb), and my fish don’t seem to care much.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
WrenFeenix said:
Didn’t you say it’s normally 76-77F? You could just cool it to current tank temp before you add it.
that was before summer started. sorry i should have specified, new constant is around 80 , which kinda freaked me out because thats when i had to put them in a new tank as my older one had a leak in it and thought there was some magical problem with the new one >.>

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
that was before summer started. sorry i should have specified, new constant is around 80 , which kinda freaked me out because thats when i had to put them in a new tank as my older one had a leak in it and thought there was some magical problem with the new one >.>
Oh, if your tank is constantly 80F, that’s no big deal. I’d say 85F is when I’d start worrying a bit.

I have a goldie who’s tank changes from 65F in the summer (basement with central AC) to 75F in the winter (furnace is in the basement). I know goldfish are hardy, but temp fluctuations occur naturally in the wild, so I wouldn’t worry too much. As long as there’s enough oxygen in the water, they can tolerate higher temperatures pretty well.

UnknownUser

Well Known
I add two ice bottles (filled with tank water) when the 20 gal hits 84° because I don’t want my fish to cook. The bottles drop it about 4° and it stays around 78-80 in summer. When it’s 90° Outside, sometimes I have to add the bottles twice. But keeping it down around 78° even though it’s a bit of fluctuation is much, much better than just letting them sit in 84° water (in my opinion). My tap also comes out at 80°. If it were me I’d use frozen bottles to temp watch the water going into the tank and then use that. It’s not healthy to keep them in really hot water for extended periods of time

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
WrenFeenix said:
Oh, if your tank is constantly 80F, that’s no big deal. I’d say 85F is when I’d start worrying a bit.

I have a goldie who’s tank changes from 65F in the summer (basement with central AC) to 75F in the winter (furnace is in the basement). I know goldfish are hardy, but temp fluctuations occur naturally in the wild, so I wouldn’t worry too much. As long as there’s enough oxygen in the water, they can tolerate higher temperatures pretty well.
really? well that's a load off my mind. i was afraid i was going to cook my fish. though the temp has reached as high as 83 , naturally ice bottled that down best i could, but im not even sure whats causing it as its cooler in my apartment than it is in my tank. not by a lot but still it is sometimes

unfortunately each frozen water bottle (the standard size ones you get in like 6 packs) melt pretty fast and each oneonly lowers the water by like .05 so i have to use one after another and hope it even does anything

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
really? well that's a load off my mind. i was afraid i was going to cook my fish. though the temp has reached as high as 83 , naturally ice bottled that down best i could, but im not even sure whats causing it as its cooler in my apartment than it is in my tank. not by a lot but still it is sometimes

unfortunately each frozen water bottle (the standard size ones you get in like 6 packs) melt pretty fast and each oneonly lowers the water by like .05 so i have to use one after another and hope it even does anything
I don’t know the lid situation you have on your tank, but aiming a fan across the surface of the water can cool a tank down quite a bit.

UnknownUser

Well Known
WrenFeenix said:
I don’t know the lid situation you have on your tank, but aiming a fan across the surface of the water can cool a tank down quite a bit.
Even with a lid on my tank, I have a floor fan pointing at my 20 gal with a lid and it keeps it a good 4° cooler than the room it’s in!

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
i still need to get a thermometer for my room but the inkbird one being in the air was less than it was in the water oddly enough. anyway i have a standard glass lid with 2 hob filters in the back. need to do something about that if im going to get snails with those openings

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
i still need to get a thermometer for my room but the inkbird one being in the air was less than it was in the water oddly enough. anyway i have a standard glass lid with 2 hob filters in the back. need to do something about that if im going to get snails with those openings
Like your snails will escape? Um... maybe a ring of diatomaceous earth around the rim of the tank? It works with insects.

New Threads