So About That Missing Crayfish....roomba Mastered The Art Of Invisibility

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Platyarelife, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

I posted a few days ago about how my Tangerine Lobster, Roomba, ran away and we looked everywhere for him and couldn't find him. We even tore up the fish tank and couldn't find him. Yesterday I deep cleaned the tank and vacuumed the gravel really well, the decor isn't that complex so not so much he can hide.
    He's been missing for days so we went and bought a new crayfish, an Electric Blue Lobster. I woke up this morning and found the new baby lobster had molted. My boyfriend came home and I wanted to show it all and in looking for the blue one... there he was. Roomba. That red crayfish is sitting in the log decor staring at us.
    This dumb lobster has been in the tank this whole time and I have no clue where he could have been. I think he mastered the art of turning invisible.

BIG QUESTION: Can my Baby Lobster and Tangerine live together? I think they are both female (yes yes I keep calling it a He).

2. lonehunter

lonehunter Valued Member Member

Crayfish can live together but they can be very vulnerable when molting that’s why you need a lot of hiding spaces you said that you don’t have many so recommend getting caves or a log etc

Oh and their not lobsters

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

No no, I have hiding places but the decor isn't complex enough for a cray to hide and never be found. Like I can pick it up, move it around and find them but somehow Roomba went stealth mode. Lots of places for them to hide and claim.

They are crayfish, as I said above. They are called a "Tangerine Lobster" and Electric blue Lobster". Though technically they are a freshwater lobster. Their anatomy is identical to a saltwater lobster, they are just smaller. Actually, all crayfish are, are small freshwater crustaceans.

4. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Yay!
    Glad she is ok.

This may be the first case where a fish/crustacean is sucked up by the vortex and able to come back.

I joke about a vortex that takes fish based on many mysterious disappearances without a trace. There was even one case where a person found some kuhli loaches they they didn't have or remembering having.

5. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

That is so strange! We checked all the decor really well and pokes around the rocks in case she buried herself. No movement when I siphoned the substrate. We had fixed the part we thought he escaped from, just to have him materialize in the stump decor. :confused: Glad she's not dead though.

6. lonehunter

I can tell if they are a boy or a girl do you mind sending a picture

7. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I can try to get a picture. The baby is off hiding someplace and gonna be hard to get.

8. lonehunter

Oh and I know what species you have your tangerine lobster is a procambarus clarki your blue one is a procambarus alleni

9. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Did not know that! Thank you. So my little blue one will grow bigger.

10. lonehunter

Glad to help

They will both get bigger

11. BaraYoukai

BaraYoukai Valued Member Member

Well...if he is a ninja lobster like you say...he should be fine right? lol

12. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Roomba killed the blue one last night. So that answers that. Roomba isn't supposed to get more than 4-41/2 inches and he's about 4 now. He hasn't done any molting or growing in a while. I think he may be full grown.

13. lonehunter

Yeah explains if the blue one was small

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice