Snowmageddon 2012

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff' started by Meeps83, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

For everyone in the Midwest, are you ready for Snowmageddon 2012?

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

:p

We got 2 inches today!! School was canceled for my brother, but not be :(

Do you mean lots of snow, as in 4 inches, or as in 4 feet?

3. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

They're saying only 12 inches. Last year was a green Christmas here, so I'm mostly excited that the snow should still be here for Christmas. It used to snow a lot here, but hasn't recently. This storm is named Winter Storm Draco. I don't remember winter storms ever having names. We have storm and blizzard warnings and it just started snowing! I'm excited.

4. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I would be ready if I thought it will snow here. Every time there is snow, my area gets a couple inches :( and 20 minutes east gets over a foot. Lake Michigan really messes with the weather.

I wish I could have school cancelled over two inches of snow lol.

5. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

That's my betta's name!:eek:

6. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

We don't even shovel our driveway over 2 inches of snow. The Clinic I work for already closed all of their locations, not that it matters because I'm off this week anyway.

7. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

The most snow I've ever seen where I live is 6 inches- we were really lucky that year. But, you know, when you get snow once or twice a year, two inches can be very dangerous for all those inexperienced drivers.

On my way to school this morning, a tree fell on the power line in front of us. The line shorted out 3 times, with blinding blue flashes and then sparks. The flashes were almost supernatural.

8. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

I would've been afraid of being electrocuted!

9. c

Two inches of snow doesn't even phase me. They must be sure there will be a good amount of snow and some bad conditions. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad though.

I don't think I've shoveled my driveway, I just drive over the snow a few times with my car till it is packed down :D.

I do understand the perspective of drivers in conditions they don't know. For some reason I love driving in the snow, then I again I use to spend hours in a plow truck lol.

10. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

LOL we do the same thing with our driveway. All of our neighbors will be out while it's still snowing (which I've never understood) and we just look at each other and shrug our shoulders. The only time it gets dicey is IF a plow decides to come by our house and fills in the bottom of our driveway or if the wind blows and blocks our garage door. The worst part of the storm is supposed to be tomorrow afternoon with heavy snow and 45mph winds. We'll see what happens. They've already called a snow emergency in the state, but unfortunately most businesses don't cancel and people are forced to go into work. I think what will get most people is that since last October we've only gotten a total of maybe 6 inches of snow (not at the same time) so it's been an extremely long time since we've had to deal with this. Since you drove a plow, you know how people are for the first snow fall of the season....

11. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

Being in southern Illinois means it'll likely all pass me up. I can't say I'm disappointed. I don't mind snow but I also don't wish for it.

12. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I have too much fun driving in the snow. I did a lot of doughnuts all over town today :D

I live somewhere that it actually snows. Own a snowblower.

13. c

I hate the pile of snow from plows at the end of the driveway. Most of the time it is the slush from the road frozen into a solid block of ice that would rip the bumper off my car lol. 6 inches of snow at the most sounds about right for this area too, but it looks like this storm is only going to drop 3 inches of snow here. It is raining right now lol.

Cichlidnut, doughnuts in the snow is fun, and so is drifting :). I can only do reverse doughnuts now, but the turnaround in my driveway is a lot more fun in the winter lol.

14. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I have a jeep wrangler that is so much fun to drive in the snow. Rear wheel drive when I want it. Uber 4x4 when I need it :D

We got 11 inches last week and 6 inches yesterday.

15. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I too love the snow! We typically get a light dusting or two.....in January! Rarely do we get any snow in December. And we've had 2 snowfalls. Just one inch followed by a couple more. And, now we are expecting another big storm. Supposed to dump snow all weekend!

They are actually starting to predict a white Christmas this year. Now, that would be something for southern Oregon!!!

16. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I would love for it to snow here in SC. I haven't seen snow on the ground at Christmas time since the big snow we had in 1989. (same year we were hit by hurricane Hugo) We had 16"s and loved it! I know Slug would love to see some snow too, so you good folks please send us some! Share!

lol

Ken

17. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967 Valued Member Member

Its summer here so no white christmas:(.We are waiting for tail end of Cyclone Evan to hit us on Christmas Eve.

18. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Ouch. Hope that storm doesn't cause issue while you are celebrating the holiday!

19. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

You must be further north Meeps83. They said only 4-6 for the southeast are and its been rain/snow most of the night. Only .5-1 inch looks to be accumulated on the grass. The ground is just wet and currently is mostly rain/freezing rain. It will be fun when I have to leave work a little later....not.

If mother nature could do snow in summer during the heat waves, I would be good with that. Otherwise, it can go somewhere else. lol

Even here where the snow season is at least 2-3 months a year, people do not know how to drive, whether its the first or last snow.

Outlaw

20. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

You folks stay safe during the storm!

If you can share some photos of the snow for some of us "snowless" folks, it would be appreciated. :)

75 degrees predicted for the high today in Hootersville. :) Grrrrr

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice