Snowflake Is Dying! Large growth on tongue

lugia10159

Snowflake my betta has a large growth on his tongue!!!! :helpsmilie: He is barley eating and he is hainging near the surface of my tank in my plants!!!!!! Hes 3 years old.... Is he dying of age? :'(

Sorry for the double post but he is getting worse!!! :'( Please help!

jerilovesfrogs

well i'm sorry he's ill. it could be old age. but, fish don't have tongues.

lugia10159

lol
Then its in his MOUTH

jerilovesfrogs

could you put him in a Q tank? then you could maybe treat him more effectively? what is he acting like?

lugia10159

No... My Q tank is REALLY leaky.

He is hanging around the top of the tank, he can't close his mouth and he is not eating very well.... I'm afraid hes going to die tonight :'(

jerilovesfrogs

how long has he been acting this way? i'm sorry he's not well

lugia10159

how long has he been acting this way? i'm sorry he's not well

3 days, the growth is just getting bigger and bigger

Everythingzen

I know many don't recommend it, but can you give a half dose of melafix and black out his tank for a few days? If you have Indian almond leaves, maybe put a large fresh one in for him. Do a 50% water change first, and then give him melafix or a multicure if you have any on hand. I've got no good advice, I'm sorry. I had a similar experience with Flash, but it wasn't a good outcome.
I'm sorry hon. I hope he picks up soon.

GemstonePony

a) growth on tongue is not old age
b) with how fast the "growth" is growing, I'm guessing it's an internal bacterial infection. Adding Garlic and Vitamins to the water and adding about 1/8th dose aquarium salt could be a good idea. unfortunately, IME anti-bacterial meds added to water do little for internal infections, but you could try it anyways.

catsma_97504

I'm sorry to hear your betta isn't doing well. Is is possible to get a picture of the growth? Maybe someone could figure out what's wrong, instead of our guessing.

Have you checked the water parameters tonight?

Best of luck.

lipadj46

some fish have tongues called basihyal or something like that, there is even a fish tongue parasite that attaches itself to a snapper's tongue, sucking the blood out of the tongue, causing it to atrophy and then it replaces the fish's tongue and acts like a tongue. gross and neat at the same time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views
tgruetzm
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views