Snowball pleco food question-how to feed frozen bloodworms

Lndsy110
So I bought my little snowball almost a week ago. I fed him veggie wafers, sera catfish chips, cucumber, spinach and zucchini but he wouldn’t eat and was mostly in his cave or just sitting behind it in my 10 gallon qt tank. So I contacted the store where I purchased him after like four days of this and was told snowballs are only carnivores and that I needed to do frozen bloodworms and suggested Rapashy bottom feeder also. He also said the algae wafers could be bad for him since he couldn’t digest it. I’ve never seen this anywhere online so hoping to get some feedback from someone here.
Also, I’m new to fish keeping and have no idea how to do the frozen bloodworm stuff. I tossed a whole cube in there and spotted close to a million little worms going everywhere between the filter and the air stone. Snowball didn’t come out and eat so I left it overnight since he had been without suitable food for 4 days and what a mess but I think maybe he ate. I have no way of knowing but after two night of doing this he comes out now and gets on top of his cave so that seems like an improvement. So how does one feed bloodworms to a pleco that doesn’t come out and eat when you put the food out? And how are you supposed to pick up the extra he doesn’t eat? I’ve had to siphon out like 20 percent of the water the next day each day to get it up.
I’m planning on driving the hour to the store tomorrow to get Rapashy because there is none where I live and I’m hoping it’s easier to feed.
Thanks in advance for any help!
lindsay

Advertisement
Dunk2
So I bought my little snowball almost a week ago. I fed him veggie wafers, sera catfish chips, cucumber, spinach and zucchini but he wouldn’t eat and was mostly in his cave or just sitting behind it in my 10 gallon qt tank. So I contacted the store where I purchased him after like four days of this and was told snowballs are only carnivores and that I needed to do frozen bloodworms and suggested Rapashy bottom feeder also. He also said the algae wafers could be bad for him since he couldn’t digest it. I’ve never seen this anywhere online so hoping to get some feedback from someone here.
Also, I’m new to fish keeping and have no idea how to do the frozen bloodworm stuff. I tossed a whole cube in there and spotted close to a million little worms going everywhere between the filter and the air stone. Snowball didn’t come out and eat so I left it overnight since he had been without suitable food for 4 days and what a mess but I think maybe he ate. I have no way of knowing but after two night of doing this he comes out now and gets on top of his cave so that seems like an improvement. So how does one feed bloodworms to a pleco that doesn’t come out and eat when you put the food out? And how are you supposed to pick up the extra he doesn’t eat? I’ve had to siphon out like 20 percent of the water the next day each day to get it up.
I’m planning on driving the hour to the store tomorrow to get Rapashy because there is none where I live and I’m hoping it’s easier to feed.
Thanks in advance for any help!
lindsay
Thaw the bloodworm cube in a small cup of tank water.

Once thawed (should only take a couple minutes), dump just a few bloodworms in the tank for your Pleco.

Don’t feed him the entire cube. . . That’s far too much. I’ve never kept Plecos, but I think you should also try blanched cucumber and zucchini.

Advertisement
StarGirl
Snowball plecos are shy also. You may never see it eat.

Lndsy110
Thaw the bloodworm cube in a small cup of tank water.

Once thawed (should only take a couple minutes), dump just a few bloodworms in the tank for your Pleco.

Don’t feed him the entire cube. . . That’s far too much. I’ve never kept Plecos, but I think you should also try blanched cucumber and zucchini.
So once you thaw it and grab a few, what do you do with the rest? Put it in the fridge?

Dunk2
So once you thaw it and grab a few, what do you do with the rest? Put it in the fridge?
Is the Pleco the only fish in the tank? If so, I might change my answer.

Rather than thawing the entire cube in a small cup of tank water, can you very carefully cut off a small part of the cube and thaw just that part?

Some folks refrigerate the unused portion, but I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with that. I have 2 tankfuls of Ram Hogs, so I never have any leftovers. :)

Lndsy110
Is the Pleco the only fish in the tank? If so, I might change my answer.

Rather than thawing the entire cube in a small cup of tank water, can you very carefully cut off a small part of the cube and thaw just that part?

Some folks refrigerate the unused portion, but I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with that. I have 2 tankfuls of Ram Hogs, so I never have any leftovers. :)
Yes, it’s by itself in a 10 gallon qt tank but I will be putting it in a 55 gallon with 5 dwarf gouramis that are total pigs also so I don’t know how my pleco will ever get anything once he’s in there with them.
I’ll try slivering off a piece like you recommended for now.
Thanks so much

BigManAquatics
My plecos would always eat the bloodworms off the substrate. Course i had enough fish in the tank i usually had to thaw out 2 whole cubes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Leinalou
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies
Views
Skittles