snorkeling

1. neonblue1980 Member Member

well, i'm not sure where to put this post but i figured general discussion was a good spot!

have any of you ever had the opportunity to snorkel in the ocean? i'm traveling to belize in november, which is apparently one of the best snorkeling areas in the world...but i'm terrified to do it! do any of you have any experience? did you feel it was dangerous? did you feel as though you were impeding upon their territory? i have always loved the *idea* of getting to do this, but i'm scared! i feel like it's a once in a lifetime opportunity though and i should just get over the fear already.

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I have! It is amazing seeing the fish in there natural habitat. I didn't feel it was dangerous at all. As long as you don't touch the rocks and coral you won't be impeding on them. hope you have fun:)

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Do it. I haven't been, but my mom has and she had an amazing time. The fish don't mind you. They're used to humans being around, and you don't have many chances to see tropical fish in their natural habitats.

4. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I am terrified of the ocean, well just water period. But love fishing in it. And love fish and love swimming lol :p just a couple months ago I got enough courage to go snorkeling in a lake. It was amazziinnggg. I loved it! I still want to be able to get the guts to go and do it in the ocean. I am trying but still alittle scared. I say go for it!! :p once you get in the water and look at all the pretty fish, all the fear will go away. Just stay calm right at first. You will have a good time. :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I've been snorkeling in Belize and it was fantastic. You won't even think about being in the ocean once you get under there. You'll think about what you're seeing.

6. neonblue1980 Member Member

did you do hol chan marine reserve??

7. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

No. It was nothing that structured. We found a couple locals sitting at a bar on the beach. They ran small groups out in their little boat. We were literally one of the the only boats in the area we were taken to.

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Dont be afraid, you will have fun, most likely, you will go out in a group with a guide or two, you can rent your own gear, but i suggest you visit your local sporting goods store and buy your own. Once you're out there, your fear goes away and you become more adventurous with all the sea life around you. Have fun and be safe !

9. millca Member Member

Oh I love to go snorkeling. Last time I was in Hawaii, we took a tour to a couple of snorkeling spots. I was always the first one off the boat to go snorkeling and the last one back in. It is amazing.

I agree you should buy your own equipment (at least the snorkel and masks). Then if you have time, take the snorkel and mask to a local pool and get used to swimming with it. My mom panicked a bit initially until she trusted the snorkel would allow her to breathe while swimming with her head down.

Have a great time! Trust me, you will not want to get out of the water once you've experienced snorkeling. Enjoy all those fishies!!!!

10. Matt White Initiate Member

I went on my honeymoon in the Bahamas, it was amazing. We went over a large reef, The only time I was nervous was when I saw a 4 foot barracuda hiding trough a trench, then just disappeared, a few minutes later we saw him hiding 3 foot beneath us through a hole in a shelf. Scary! On our way to the 2nd location I told the guide, he assured me there was nothing to worry about. The next spot we saw a nurse shark and a group of 6 to 8 barracuda, I swam towards them, but the just swam off. I've got a lot of facial hair, so I had to keep the goggles held on, I wanted a closer look through the water in my goggles. I would definitely recommend an underwater camera! It was the best thing we did on our trip!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. eds48 Member Member

Snorkeling is one of the best things. Ive done it in the BVI and the USVI and its beautiful! Fish will come up to you and swim right along with you. Its awsome! :)

12. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

You should take the opportunity while you have it! I am so jealous of all y'all. I really want to go snorkeling sometime in my life it's a goal. I really hope I can go, though. I'm not sure Id be allowed to because of my health problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. millca Member Member

I second the recommendation for getting an underwater camera. You will love enjoying all the pics when you get back home. Costco usually has at least one underwater camera for sale for under $200! Good investment as I also use it with my fish tanks now.

14. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Defiantly do it!!! It may be scary to some but IMO it's not at all. I have had the opportunity to snorkel throughout florida. I have swam with many sharks and barracudas and I'm still here with no injuries from them. I even swam with a 11 ft lemon shark for about 30 minutes he never batted an eye or paid any attention to me. It's beautiful just seeing fish in their natural surroundings acting normally.

15. garikapc Member Member

Do it! I grew up snorkelling in PR. Have not done so since high school but would drop whatever I have now to do it. Just dont touch corals or the like. It is very low impact as you have no powered equipment, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app