Sneezing Turtle

peacemaker92
Hi,

I have three red-eared slider turtles (one big, two small) at home and I keep them in a large box (temporarily, until I get a pond). My problem is my big turtle keeps sneezing or making a sound that sounds like a sneeze. It gets me worried and I don't know what to do! Is she sick or something? Please help! x :helpsmilie:

sirdarksol
Unsure. I don't know a lot about turtles, but it's possible that she's stressed. Do they have enough water to submerge themselves in if they feel the need? Also, so they have a high output lamp somewhere over the box? Turtles like being able to be submerged, and they also need to be able to sun themselves to warm their blood.

peacemaker92
Unsure. I don't know a lot about turtles, but it's possible that she's stressed. Do they have enough water to submerge themselves in if they feel the need? Also, so they have a high output lamp somewhere over the box? Turtles like being able to be submerged, and they also need to be able to sun themselves to warm their blood.

Ok, thanks! That helps! Thanks again!

sirdarksol
No problem. Hope everything goes well with them.

Red wag platy
A good place to go to is tortoisetrust.org. I know I'm posting in some old threads, but I feel the need to.

peacemaker92
A good place to go to is tortoisetrust.org. I know I'm posting in some old threads, but I feel the need to.

Oh, it's ok Platy! It's helpful! Thanks!

sirdarksol
By the way, how's she been doing?

peacemaker92
By the way, how's she been doing?

She's OK. Still can't get a pond for her btw... My parents don't allow it. No place too. They told me just to let her roam around my bathroom.

Laelanna
I have to ask... how are you feeding your turtles? Any type of aquatic turtle needs to be in water to eat and digest properly. The sneezing is probably the start of a respiratory infection due to being too cold. I am sure you are trying to do the best for them that you can, but if you cannot get them into an aquarium (about 78degree water) of some sort with a way for them to bask (about 90 degree area with a uva light) to dry off and stay warm enough then you are essentially keeping a fish out of water. They may live longer, but they do not have what they need and will develop shell problems among other things.

I'm not trying to be mean or harsh, but from what little I've read from your posts it sounds like you are not providing the things they need for a healthy long life. Turtles live up to 20+ years by the way.

peacemaker92
I have to ask... how are you feeding your turtles? Any type of aquatic turtle needs to be in water to eat and digest properly. The sneezing is probably the start of a respiratory infection due to being too cold. I am sure you are trying to do the best for them that you can, but if you cannot get them into an aquarium (about 78degree water) of some sort with a way for them to bask (about 90 degree area with a uva light) to dry off and stay warm enough then you are essentially keeping a fish out of water. They may live longer, but they do not have what they need and will develop shell problems among other things.

I'm not trying to be mean or harsh, but from what little I've read from your posts it sounds like you are not providing the things they need for a healthy long life. Turtles live up to 20+ years by the way.

OK, I see what you mean... Well, this life for them is temporarily. I don't know what to do but I am doing my best. Thanks for the info.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Harlebleondora
  • Reptile
Replies
Views
Harlebleondora
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pebbles730
Replies
Views