Snakeskin Barb

1. fishychachki Member Member

I've been reading up about the snakeskin barbs (desmopuntius rhomboocellatus) but I was wondering if anyone's here can tell me about their general behavior, especially from personal experience working with them.

I'm saving up to buy a 30g so I can keep 6-8 samurai gouramis and I was wondering if the snakeskin barbs would be a good tankmate to peaceful, timid gouramis (if you don't know what samurais are like, think of maybe honey or sparkiling gouramis, only slightly bigger and shaped like dead leaves lol).

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

While I don't have any personal experience with the barbs other than general details, but I can tell you about samurai gouramis and the barbs wouldn't be compatible. These gouramis will do best in really really acidic water, like 4-5; they can be kept them in slightly more acidic water, but their health as tends not to be as good once you go over 5.5/6 (depending if they've been wild caught/ tank bred) and are more susceptible to fungal infections.

And they do best in species tanks because they're so shy and little. Lol, and if you ever find a good seller, share haha; I've been looking for a reputable one for a long while. They're a pretty rare find :p

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. fishychachki Member Member

I see. That's real unfortunate. I actually thought they may be compatible because they come from very similar environment (same locality even) and similar moderately-slightly acidic water. Or at least that's what I found from the more reputable sites like seriouslyfish. I'll take note of that and reconsider then.

I'm also trying my hand on them since I know one seller that does sell them but only because I live in the country that both the samurais and snakeskin barbs come from lol. I know they are pretty rare. It's not even easy finding them here in Indonesia lol. I'll ask if they'll ship internationally though I can't guarantee anything unfortunately.

Either way, thanks a lot for the info!

4. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

They are in pretty similar waters, but the gouramis hang out more in the heavily leaf littered areas, so the pH is driven down quit a bit more

And I'm so jealous! Haha. I really appreciate you asking, although you certainly don't have to not am I expecting you to :). I hope you'd do find some, they're such beautiful fish!

5. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I have kept Rhombo Barbs (older common name for the species), and they are relatively mild mannered for a barb. Key word, "relatively". Not sure I would trust them with a slow moving fish. Despite coming from the same region, they seem to have different temperature preferences. My group of 10 were very active, but the color really popped out when I dropped the temperature to about 20C, or 68F. Had information from some really good sources that this was a good temperature for them. However, I was unable to induce breeding in the group under various conditions and temperatures.

I've wanted some Sphaerichthys vaillanti ever since I first read of them. The females get colorful, and the males stay drab because they're the ones carrying the eggs (mouthbrooder) so they need to be inconspicuous. Actual recorded temperature where the types were collected was 85F (about 29C), but temperature recommendations are 21-26C? Not logical.

6. fishychachki Member Member

Ah okay. I was actually more concerned about the behavior compatibility too more than water compatibility. I will monitor closely the personality of any samurais I could get before thinking of adding new tankmates like the snakeskin barbs. Would something like the super tiny chilli rasboras (another fish supposedly found in the same locality) be a better alternative?

Air temperature regularly reach 35-38 cels here (in major urban centers it can easily surpass 40 unless a given city lies at higher altitude). I really doubt the water temperature where many of these true tropical fish naturally live is often lower than say 26-30 cels.

Maybe explain why most people here get only sure success when working with betta splendens lol. I may even reconsider ever looking for rhombos if they thrive better in 20 cels which is unrealistic to achieve and sustain for many hobbyists here. Without interventions, my tanks usually stay within 26-32 cels.