Snake like beings...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ziabis, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

I have what appears to be a snail without a shell, but they don't seem to have any
    antenae and they seem to be very thin They are quite able to slither between gravel
    with ease.

They are milky white and almost see through and very small..

What could they be?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Maybe planaria or detritus worms, have a look at this link and see if yours look like any of these:

3. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Yes that looks like them but mine are a milky white... Is this a serious matter? Do I need to get rid of them right away? What do I use to get rid of them?

It says that overfeeding can be the cause, but how th heck do I know how much is too much food. I mean, I have no idea. If I stop overfeeding, will they die off and be gone?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  4. Matt B

The planaria come in different shades, they aren't harmful inherently but can be an indication of overfeeding or a dirty tank, normally one in need of a gravel vacuum.

With less food they'll shrink in numbers, I don't know if you can eradicate them altogether.

How much are you feeding and is your profile stock accurate?

5. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Well I know its not a dirty tank since its only been running for over a month...
    Over feeding yes I can understand that, but how do I know what is too much. Its not like
    Im eating the food and feel full. How can I tell when its too much.
    No clue...

I will do a gravel vaccum next weekend as I just cleaned the tank yesterday.

6. Matt B

A month of over feeding is plenty of time to produce a dirty gravel bed! What do you feed? How much? How often? Is the stock list in your profile accurate?

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

If food is hitting the bottom of the tank, that is too much. Of course, if you feed pellets and veggies then you will have to deal with them. Planaria will not hurt anything though and fish like to eat them.

8. CodyJ

CodyJ Valued Member Member

You could possibly get bottom feeders so they can eat whatever food that falls to the bottom

9. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

No food hits the bottom, I am no longer feeding them twice a day. I feed them flakes and bloodwurms on Sunday.
    I give them many flakes but in portions waiting for them to finish then next bunch.

7 black phantom 5 glowlight

I am planning to get some corys, but dont have a car and the cold weather is coming, so I need to ask a friend for a ride.. How many corys 3, 4?

Yes my signature is up to date....

10. Matt B

Cories aren't really for cleaning the gravel, in fact, you'll end up having to place food on the gravel for them. They aren't a solution to this problem. Some scavengers may help, like some ghost shrimp, but the bulk of the work will be on your end. I feed my smaller schoolers twice a day about what they eat in 10-20 seconds.

I would also do a thorough gravel vac on half the tank this week and the other half next week, making sure to get under decorations. As Sol said, they aren't harmful and your fish will eat them but if they bother you thats what I would do.

11. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Thank you I will do the gravel vaccuum, but I am afraid of disrupting all the live plants, this
    is my first attempt at live planted tank. Shrimp, how many?

12. soltarianknight

12-24 shrimp to start, though you can expect some die off. Really, just doing the gravel vacs will help reduce the number of planaria, but they are in almost all tanks and are in my opinion, beneficial. They work like little indicators of when something is off with the tank. Obviously you don't want them in mass but a few won't hurt anything.

13. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

A curiousity I've had.. what do you do when you can't gravel vac? I don't have any unwelcome guests (other than pond snails, sigh) that I know of, but I do know my gravel is dirty. The few times I've moved a plant for one reason or another, has been a small cloud of stuff stirred up.

I have pygmy chain sword covering most of the spots in my tank that another plant isn't rooted in.. there's an area under my driftwood with nothing growing, but moving the driftwood would require angering some plants growing around it :)

I can hold the hose over top of the plants, but it doesn't pick up too much being 2-3 inches off the gravel.

14. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I have not been able to fully understand how some of these amazingly planted tanks ever get vaccumed, especially those tanks that have that fully bottom covered grass.

Maybe I am just too stupid, but i have no clue how its done...

15. soltarianknight

A lot of people don't vac their heavily planted tanks, there is no need, but it is possible. Just get a very small vac. They make them as small as a nickel width. You can also just stir the gravel a little while vacing the water during a water change to knock the debris into the water column for the vac to get.

16. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I thought it was a bad idea to stir up the substrate? But I see good idea to stir with my fingers then suck up the debris.. Oh ok....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice