Snake Id Help Question

1. TheCrazyFishGuy

TheCrazyFishGuy Well Known Member Member

A friend sent a picture of a snake he found to me from when he was in Estes Park, Colorado and has been wondering what kind of snake it is. Could anyone ID the snake or provide a link to where I can ID it? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a garter snake. I just don't know what species.

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello. From hubby’s description I’m inclined to think a coachwhip or one of its subspecies. Check out Colorado dept of natural resources to be sure. Let us know what you find?

Hey. Thought Colorado’s garter snakes were black or mostly black. Curious because I was born there but never got to see it. Thought I knew most of its snakes though.

4. scarface

There are quite a few species of garters. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Colorado's snakes at all. I just made a quick, calculated guess for the OP to look up. I'll look up the whiptail. Is there anything you don't know :D?

5. Gypsy13

Whole lots of stuff unfortunately! I was born wanting to know. Constant pain to mom and dad! Plus, I’ve always had a thing for snakes. :)

6. scarface

Yes, I love snakes. I always had more of an interest to native species, though. I prefer the lowly garter to most snakes sold in pet stores.

7. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Could be a young Bullsnake, a Rat Snake, or possibly a Glossy.

Snakes of Colorado -          Reptiles and Amphibians of Colorado

8. Gypsy13

9. Dch48

I was just going by color pattern since whatever it is, it's a young one.

Linking is easy, you just click on the URL at the top of your browser, then right click and choose copy. Then you just paste it where you want it. Unless you're using a phone. I do everything on either a full desktop or laptop computer. I hate using a phone for anything but calls or texts. I really don't like touch screens of any kind except for scrolling.

10. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i bet estes park probably has a wildlife id section on their website somewhere. he's a little cutie! i tentatively agree that he could be a baby garter or maybe bull/gopher snake.

i saw what i think was a blind snake the other day, which was really weird. i thought it was a worm.

11. Gypsy13

You really should give touch screens a try blind. Talk about fun. Lol

How cool! Hubby caught a Pygmy rattler on our back ramp last summer. First one I’ve ever been close to outside captivity and I couldn’t see it! And for some reason he won’t let me handle them anymore. Not fair. :(

12. DeeW

DeeW New Member Member

I think it looks like a bullsnake baby

13. Dch48

My first choice as well