Snails

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:-\ Okay, I know there are varying opinions on snails in our tanks, but I would like to hear from both sides on this issue. A couple of weeks ago I bought some hornswort for my tanks. I recently discovered that I have at least 5 snails in one of my tanks. There may be more, although that is all I see.

Should I leave the snails in my tank? Or, should I try to remove the snails and if so how? ???

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My problem with pond snails that come in with plants is that they are a big biological load to start with and 5 will soon be 500. I would remove them manually when you see them and hope that they lessen. This is why I started getting the Dwarf Loaches as I had used "Had-a-Snail" and killed them out in the tanks but in order to get it to work, I had to remove the fish and kill the snails and then sterilize the tank and decor and start all over. The Loaches eat the snails. (once they grow up a bit ~ the Loaches)

I loved my big snails but they do not multiply unless you have more than one. Some of the pond snails can multiply even if there is only one.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aren't loaches too big for my 10 gallon tanks? They already have 4 ottos in them, along with one betta. I guess I should go look them up.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those are the only ones small enough. They don't get bigger than Otos. They are darlings and I have 8 of them in with the boys already. When I get the tanks all set up the only one who will not have Loaches with them is Alexander.

The other Loaches get huge, you are correct.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had some pond snails hitch a ride on plants too and whenever I see one I remove it and kill it with hot water. If you leave then in there they will infest your tank. Don't pity them. You wouldn't leave cockroaches to infest your home. Pond snails are pests and serve no good purpose. I had a 40 gallon tank when I was a kid and it had a bad snail problem. Some days you could barely see the fish, there were so many snails on the glass.  Don't let it get that bad.
I rarely see a snail now and just remove it when I do see one.

Pepsi216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My 10 gal was a rescue tank from someone who didn't want to keep fish anymore. It came with one cory and quite literally hundreds of small snails. I relocated the cory so I could clean the tank and start picking them out. After about two hours of going through the gravel, I finally chucked it. There were so many, it was impossible to distinguish between them and the gravel. The ones I had already gathered (probably about 200 at that point) I took down to the LFS to use as food.

I casually asked my friend about the snails, and apparently she had started out with just one. She thought they were sort of cute, even if they were taking over the tank.

Cute, food, it's up to you, but after the ordeal of trying to separate them from the gravel, I think it's safe to say I won't be doing snails in any of my tanks.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your answers to my question. Since all of you gave me such excellent reasons to not allow the snails to remain in my tank, I am now in the snail removal business. If I can't remove them all by hand, I will get one of those small loaches. Sounds like they would be a very cute addition to my tanks.

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I personally like all snails.  I have pond snails in my 20 gal that hitched a ride on plants, but I find that as long as I am careful not to overfeed they do not get out of control (I used to feed the Cories too much and the snail population got a bit high...then I cut back and the snail numbers went down a lot).  Their population is directly linked to the amount of food available.  So, feed sparingly and keep the tank clean and you should not have too many.
And snails do serve a purpose in the aquarium.  They eat things like dropped food and dead plant leaves (but not live plants!), which would otherwise rot in the aquarium and foul the water.  They are a very effective clean up crew imo.
I do not believe in killing creatures unless it is necessary, including snails or other so-called "pests".  If you only have 5 they are not a problem.  Snails do not harm anything, I guess some people just don't like them.  Personally I think they're rather cute little guys.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Omorrokh. I was beginning to think that everyone thought that snails were a bad idea. I also think they are cute and hated the thought of disposing of them. In fact I had decided that I am going to move them to a planted gallon jar so they can have their own personal aquarium. I have difficulty killing any creature too.

What will they need in their own jar? Should I give them algea wafers?

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Algae wafers are good...but go for variety too. They will eat anything from flakes to veggies to sinking pellets/wafers.
If possible they should also have a filter because snails do produce quite a bit of bio load. Otherwise you will have to do a lot of water changes.
Oh and also make sure the container is covered because snails are known to crawl out of tanks.
I am glad you decided to move them rather than killing them.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The live plants are often carriers of little snails. I kind of hated them when it happened to me once because they were EVERYWHERE in short order. On the other hand I'm very fond of my mystery snail.

Aquaman

Reaction score
Hi All,

A lone Mystery Snail, Lenora, has been the only occupant of my 10 gallon freshwater tank since my Betta, Moby, passed away a few months ago.  Lenora has taught me that snails have personalities and styles too.  She likes to play in the bubbles from the bubblewand in the tank.  I've installed an air control valve so that I can turn the bubbles up and down and play with her.  She also likes to sit herself up at the top of her rock formation under the filter water-return letting all four of her antennae flail around as if she were conducting an enormous orchestra only she could see and hear.  Lenora has grown very large on a diet of spinach and algae wafers and my girlfriend and I have grown very attached to her.  I agree wholeheartedly with Omorrokh: they do poop quite a bit and I have to do weekly water changes to keep Nitrate levels down just for her. Just my 2 cents on snails.   8)     

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom