Snails?

1. sunshine2012 Member Member

I want to not have to keep buying snails for my freshwater tank. My question is what snail should I get that will have babies? I'm not to worried about the snail population cause I have friends and lfs that will take the babies when ready to be placed. Thanks for the help.

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Pond snails,buy some live plants their all over them and they breed fast.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think your LFS will buy any of the pest snails from you, but they're easy to breed. They include bladder, pond, ramshorn, and MTS.

If you want to sell them, mystery snails are a good choice. They readily breed and are easy to raise.

4. sunshine2012 Member Member

I do have one blue mystery snail and one black nerite snail texasdomer. Wasn't sure if I should buy another one of the mystery snail

5. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Buy a few more mystery snails they will breed.they lay eggs above the surface,once their ready they baby snails drop into the water.

6. sunshine2012 Member Member

Ok thank you! I wasn't sure if there was anything special I had to do once they have the eggs. You guys are so helpful.

7. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

My mystery snails are awesome lol. There's nothing special you have to do except wait for them to hatch! They will dry up though so don't leave the lid open when there's egg clutches

8. sunshine2012 Member Member

No need to worry about the lid, it is fully closed and the only opening if where the filter system is and there are philodendron in that opening of maybe 1" and it's all taken up from the plant.