Snails?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Alex126, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Alex126Valued MemberMember

Hello all. I have a 29gallon tank with one gourami one molly. 3 neon tetra. And possibly soon 2 angels. Also a 3inch long royal pleco. What's the deal with snails. I think they look coo but I see these horror stories about snails takeing over peoples tanks. So I'm wondering if I should get some. If so. What kind. Tanks!

2. I love my puffer

I love my pufferValued MemberMember

I would NOT get the snails. They are pooping machines , needy, die quick, smell, and are just plain annoying! If you want some awesome no maintenance tank cleaners, I'd get ghost shrimp. Small tiny awesome cleanup crew. They are very cheap. You can get them at your Lfs for very cheap. Some even give them out for free!!:). Also it sounds like your tank might get. A bit crowded. Your tank could have to much bio and stress and disease your. Fish. GS will help by cleaning, but just make sure you keep your tank VERY clean;)

Best of luck!!:)

I love my puffer

3. OP
    OP
    A

Alex126Valued MemberMember

Oh really I thought ghost shrimp were bad! I heard stories about them killing fish! Even at the store if a fish is dead there are shrimp eating it!! If they dot kill fish and I do get them. What do they eat!?

Just out of curiosity why do you sy my tank is crowed?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  4. celizabethh3

celizabethh3Valued MemberMember

I personally would not even add the angels to your tank. A 29 gallon is the bare minimum for one angel but it sounds like you are already closed to being stocked. I would finish your school of neons first by adding a few more and then maybe adding some shrimp. The pleco will also outgrow your tank sooner than later and will need to be rehomed or moved to a much larger tank.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

Hey, I love my puffer too!

Welcome, and best of luck with your tank. As far as snails go, check out nerites. They are amazing at cleaning algae and will Not reproduce in freshwater. If you get multiple though they will most likely lay little white eggs around your tank. I personally don't mind them, some people do. They also come in different varieties as well, ex-horned(small), zebra, olive, & track/tiger (come in numerous names). IMO 2 would work great for a 29G.

The other snails most people talk about our pond/bladder snails, ramshorns, & malaysian trumpet snails (mts). Check out pictures online to see the difference between them, which is easy. Booming populations in these snails is usually in regards to overfeeding. However, I have seen pond snails reproduce just by putting them in a bucket of water. I only have ramshorns for puffer food. They get about the size of a nickel and can come in different colors. You'll also hear about people getting pond snails or ramshorns coming in on plants, sometimes as eggs. That is why you'll hear of people cleaning their plants before they put them in their tank. MTS can be useful though. They are used mainly to aerate the substrate. Plus you will rarely see them. If they are on your glass it is Usually a sign of bad water quality.

My other 2 cents would be about your royal pleco. Does he have another tank that he will be going into? He will get huge. And if you've never owned plecos before, they are large waste producers, which could lead to lower water quality, which in turn may lead to algae and other issues. Your best bet for tank maintenance is you. Water changes are your best friend.

Keep us updated with what you do!

6. I love my puffer

Just don't. Add to many fish and you should be okay;) I personally have never had a problem with GS and I think they're great:) and if anyone eats anyone it will be the opposite way around;) they're also great nutritious feeders too! You don't even have to feed them, they will be happy with the leftovers from your fish and the waste in the tank:) great help with maintenance too. Theyre also very fun to watch:)
    Best of luck!
    I love my puffer

7. I love my puffer

Everyone has such great advice! You are pretty close to being stocked too, and I agree don't add any more fish except a few neons:)

8. OP
    OP
    A

Thank you all!!! Yes I plan on getting rid of my pleco once he hits 5inches. And I am going to get some GS how many should I get?! If I got rid of the neons. Could I get only one angel?!! I really want the angel fish

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. I love my puffer

10 should be great! Stay very small and if it crowds to much you can get rid of some;) won't cost you more than 3$. About the angelfish, I think you should (if you really want one) get him a good tank by himself or with other angels to meet his specific requierments;)

Best of luck
    i love my puffer

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  10. OP
    OP
    A

Oh ya one More thing. I had all these fish. The pleco. The molly the gourami and the 3 tetras I'm a 10 gallon before. So that means that was over stocked too!

11. celizabethh3

celizabethh3Valued MemberMember

Plecos have a large bio load, so yes you would have been overstocked in the 10g as well. I believe the only algae eaters that should be kept in a 10g are snails or shrimp. Most fish (with a few exceptions) are too large for that size of tank anyways. I'm glad you upgraded to the 29!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. OP
    OP
    A

Yes. The reason I upgraded was to get the angels. Thinking another 20 gallon would be Plenty for an angel but I guess not

13. I love my puffer

Get a 30 gallon(long)and an angel fish will be fine in there as long as it meets it's specific requirements;)

14. OP
    OP
    A

Hey!! One more thing. After I treat my molly do you think I could get around 4 German blue rams insted of the angels?!

15. I love my puffer

Each GBR needs a tank minimum of 20gal, so if you got 1 you could keep it in a 20 gal. Here is a link so you can read about them!!;)

16. OP
    OP
    A

I actually owned one in my 10 gallon with the rest of my fish. And it died in 2 weeks after I got it. Never knew they needed 20gallon. Do you suggest any other type of fish I can keep in a school. Without over crowding. Maybe a fish tht dosent need a lot of room like the ram?

17. OP
    OP
    A

And I'm not getting the angel fish

18. I love my puffer

In the 30 gallon? Or in a new tank

19. OP
    OP
    A

In the 30

20. I love my puffer

I would recommend danios or white clouds. At most 3 and that should be it as you don't want to overstock;) those GS will definitely help w maintenance!;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice