Snails with holes? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by tatty_kassy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tatty_kassy

tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Hello!
    I am new to snails I will say first off, I was looking to get some but none of the LFS had some in stock! I got lucky and found someone on Kijiji that was giving away snails so I went over there and he had ALOT. Alot alot.
    So I took 5 home and put them in my tank, they are sort of a brownish red and they had these small holes in them. 3 of them even had a hole going right through the middle.
    I thought it looked decorative and this morning I look and most of them do not have the little holes on them anymore, the others don't have a hole in the middle anymore either. Well, one does, but its teeny tiny compared to before.

I am now thinking they had some shell deficiency?? If thats the case, they are definitely healing then, but what else can I do to make sure that whatever caused that for this guy's snails does not happen to mine again?

Any other advice you have to share about snails would be appreciated also, I got these just yesterday and I am definitely new to them! :)

Thanks!

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

You should add a rinsed egg shell to your tank. It'll dissolve over a few days, then you add another. the calcium is good for them

3. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

4. rainman

rainmanWell Known MemberMember

Ramshorn Snails from the Planorbidae family.

5. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

I took a look at all the info and I do believe they are the ramshorn snail! :)
    I think they just had a shell deficiency, this guy I got them from had to of had at least 200+ in a 20 gal tank. Not to mention at least that in guppies as well! Crazy overpopulation situation.
    I will put some eggshell in there later and see how things go, thanks for all the info guys! :;hug2