Snails - What do they add to bioload?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Treefork, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Ok, my Mystery Snails are good cleaners/scroungers overall gluttons. Just curious, what do they add to my tanks bioload? Do they create as much or more waste as fish? Just thinking about it and was curious.

2. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

I had a large blue apple (mystery) snail and it produced a lot of waste :). My nitrates have dropped a good 3-5ppm on a regular basis since it's been gone. Not scientific, just what I've noticed.

3. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

I have an infestation of Ramshorn snail... before ammonia was around 0... then after they reproduced and the babies grew the ammonia spiked causing me worry... I have plucked out over 100 snails since then and have noticed a large lowering in ammonia... Luckily I have a decent amount of plants to quickly curb the ammonia spike... But ya IME I think they have a heavy bioload...

4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I have a mystery snail the size of a half dollar. He makes a lot of poo but my tank is clean and the perameters are in good shape. But I only keep one per tank so they dont reproduce.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice