Snails Sitting At The Water Line. Help

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Two of my nerite snails have been sitting at the waterline for days now. The ones that are are usually the ones that are the most active. Is something wrong with my water? My parameters are perfect, and I just did a water change. Is it my oxygen level?

2. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Most snails normally do that. That's why it's suggested to lower the water line a bit so they can hang out at the surface. Completely normal, although I'll just make sure you're good with oxygen. Is there an air stone running? How much surface agitation is there?

3. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

They go up to the surface to breath. They can hang out there for a good long time. Perfectly normal.

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Mine do that too, usually at night. Once some of the water evaporates they dont seem to notice or care if there water. They stay to the tank perimeter and not the water.... its weird.

5. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Since nerites are brackish, some of them like to try and imitate the tides and do so by crawling either enitrely or partially out of the water for a few hours then going back in. It could be that they were doing their time out of the water at night, but just as tides change day by day, they may slowly have changed their time out of the water to the daytime. If your parameters are fine, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

6. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Nope, but I plan to pick one up. I have a betta in there so I have a mediocre amount of surface adjitation.

7. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

My Nerite goes up to the top on occasion but it never stays there very long. It also cruises around much more after the lights go out.

8. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

All right. I’m sure it’s just normal behavior.

9. Dch48

Is this the same tank where you are having problems with Mystery snails? If it is, there may be something in the water that snails don't like.

10. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami Valued Member Member

I would have to agree since there seems to be several snails acting out of norm their is a good possibility it is the water beyond just amm and nitrite. What is your nitrate levels?

11. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Nope, this is my other tank.

My nitrates are less then 20, I did a 50 percent water change yesterday.

12. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami Valued Member Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the nerites at this moment unless you seem to notice any other odd or red flagged behavior. For now it seems like they are behaving normally for them.
    Although I think their maybe something IN the water that should be addressed. Do you use tap water? Is there any way you could call your local water dept and get a rundown on what is your water?

13. Dch48

There could be something in there that isn't detected by the standard test kits. Some dissolved mineral or something. There is definitely something wrong in the Mysteries tank. Is your tap water filtered?