snails, pests

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am starting to get a snail problem in my tank, i am assuming they came from the live plants i have. Is their a type of tropical fish that is good for a 10 gallon tank that will eat the snails , and will get along with my plates.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you had a larger tank, I would suggest loaches, but your 10 gal tank is too small. My suggestion is to smash them against the glass when you see them and your platies will have a nice treat. You can also float a piece of lettuce before going to bed, and then remove the snail covered lettuce from the tank and throw it away. This is not a cure though. You can also remove any eggs you see stuck to the walls of your tank. Also, check how much you are feeding your fish, and see if you need to cut back. Most fish only need to be fed once a day.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
I feed my plates twice a day eater flake food or dried shrimps.
Once at 7.30 am and then at 7pm is that too much i have 2 femail and 1 male platy
and also have live plant's.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anything you put in your tank to kill snails can potentially kill your fish also. It may also cause an ammonia or Nitrite spike because it will kill the snails in your substrate and you may not get them all out. Just some thoughts
Carol

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't remember who but someone made a good trap. Place a cup in the tank and add lettuce in it and the snails will all get in there and just take it out.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
since post , the snails have all just disappeared , i don't now what happend to them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom