Snails Out Of The Water...

Juli Harvey

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I purchased some live plants that apparently came with baby snails. I do not know what kind. I frequently find them hanging out just above the water line or sitting on top of the thermometer. Is this normal?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Those snails are what I like to call "hitchhikers" from the store you bought them from and they are most likely not the "good" snail you want in the tank. They reproduce fast and can be a nuisance. If you're sure that they aren't any of the "good" snails (i.e., assassin, mystery, etc) remove them asap unless u want to keep them, of course

Hope this helps and best of luck!

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, it's normal, snails can crawl out of the water. I'll remove the hitchhikers, they can reproduce very fast and soon you will see tons of snails.

Juli Harvey

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you, I will ask the store what kind of snails they have in the plant tank.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Usually snails only try to climb out of the water when water quality is bad.

Juli Harvey

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is what I would think, but I am testing every other day. PH Is 8, ammonia 0, nitritres 0, Nitrates 0, and I have had this confirmed by local fish store. Is there something else Is should test for?

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No those levels look good. Weird then that they are coming out of the water.

RyleighJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What do the snails look like? If they're brownish and round they're probably pond snails; if their shells are pointed, they're probably Malaysian trumpet snails.

Juli Harvey

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually they are both, I checked with the LFS where I got the plants and they are now growing large enough to tell. They are still hanging out above the water line at times, but the 2 Nerite snails I got are happily munching algae and the 3 Endlers are happy as can be.

RyleighJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you want to get rid of them, you can make a snail trap by placing a bit of cucumber/other vegetable in a water bottle or something similar and waiting for them to crawl in. From there, a lot of people kill them, but I prefer giving them away as puffer food (perhaps to your lfs). Granted, they still die in the end, but I feel less guilty

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree with the post above.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads