Snails Out Of The Water...

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Juli Harvey, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Juli HarveyNew MemberMember

So I purchased some live plants that apparently came with baby snails. I do not know what kind. I frequently find them hanging out just above the water line or sitting on top of the thermometer. Is this normal?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

Those snails are what I like to call "hitchhikers" from the store you bought them from and they are most likely not the "good" snail you want in the tank. They reproduce fast and can be a nuisance. If you're sure that they aren't any of the "good" snails (i.e., assassin, mystery, etc) remove them asap unless u want to keep them, of course

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Yes, it's normal, snails can crawl out of the water. I'll remove the hitchhikers, they can reproduce very fast and soon you will see tons of snails.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Juli HarveyNew MemberMember

Thank you, I will ask the store what kind of snails they have in the plant tank.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Usually snails only try to climb out of the water when water quality is bad.

6. OP
    OP
    J

That is what I would think, but I am testing every other day. PH Is 8, ammonia 0, nitritres 0, Nitrates 0, and I have had this confirmed by local fish store. Is there something else Is should test for?

7. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

No those levels look good. Weird then that they are coming out of the water.

8. RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

What do the snails look like? If they're brownish and round they're probably pond snails; if their shells are pointed, they're probably Malaysian trumpet snails.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Actually they are both, I checked with the LFS where I got the plants and they are now growing large enough to tell. They are still hanging out above the water line at times, but the 2 Nerite snails I got are happily munching algae and the 3 Endlers are happy as can be.

10. RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

If you want to get rid of them, you can make a snail trap by placing a bit of cucumber/other vegetable in a water bottle or something similar and waiting for them to crawl in. From there, a lot of people kill them, but I prefer giving them away as puffer food (perhaps to your lfs). Granted, they still die in the end, but I feel less guilty

11. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Agree with the post above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice