Snails out of control - cupramine?

trinity28

I have 9 fish tanks (I know...) and the snail infestation from buying live plants has gotten completely out of control. I mean completely. There are snails in every single tank. Almost all of them are ramshorn snails but there are a few bladder snails here and there. They're all over the place and I don't like the look of them. I'm looking into using Seachem Cupramine to get rid of them. Is this an okay idea? One of my tanks has cherry shrimp in it, so I won't use it in that tank. I will just have to manually reduce the population for that one. Is shouldn't harm the rest of my fish, correct? How much would I need to dose? I understand cupramine kills the snails but not the snail eggs, so I would need to redose for a few weeks until they are all gone.

kanzekatores

I don't really know about cupramine but I know that some methods that are sometimes used are adding assassin snails, or pea puffers.

MrBryan723

The dosing instructions are on the bottle. You bring it up to like .5ppm and leave it there for 2 weeks or something like that. You don't add the full dose all at once, but over a few days until you have the desired ppm level.
It is harmful to fish at higher concentrations.

MrBryan723

So i just read the bottle. It's 0.25 mg/L in freshwater for 2 weeks.

Ghelfaire

An assassin snail would work. The eat the eggs as well as adults.

TWiG87

Personally I’d shy away from medicines or treatments. It’s easy enough to manually remove them or put a piece of vegetable in there overnight and you should have a bunch on the morning and take it out. An assassin snail is always an option as well

trinity28

Personally I’d shy away from medicines or treatments. It’s easy enough to manually remove them or put a piece of vegetable in there overnight and you should have a bunch on the morning and take it out. An assassin snail is always an option as well
I’m hesitant about it too, but I have so many in every tank I just don’t see how I could manually get them out. We’re talking like hundreds here in my bigger tanks.

MrBryan723

I’m hesitant about it too, but I have so many in every tank I just don’t see how I could manually get them out. We’re talking like hundreds here in my bigger tanks.
Assassin snails and other predators/traps are really more of a "control the numbers" methods. Total elimination requires a breakdown and steralization of everything with hot water or chemicals. I got tired of the battle so i bought some algaecide and cupramine that I'm using together. I should note, my fish are in another tank during this time as i am not following the directions on the bottle and i will also have to trim back growth on my plants so they don't leech the copper back into the water column. And carbon.

MrBryan723

Aside from that I wholly agree with chemical free.

RDcompton03

whatever you use to kill them just remember you are likely to have a huge ammonia spike that could last for awhile if you have that many snails dying all at once.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Fish1999
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • NeonTetraMX
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
  • Question