Snails On Plants

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve never kept live plants, but want to start. My concern is snails. I’ve read that plants can bring in snails that can populate and become a problem. I may want to keep a few Sterite snails which cannot breed in a freshwater tank but I don’t want any surprises.

How can I be sure the plants I buy at a LFS don’t have snails or eggs?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tony M said:
I’ve never kept live plants, but want to start. My concern is snails. I’ve read that plants can bring in snails that can populate and become a problem. I may want to keep a few Sterite snails which cannot breed in a freshwater tank but I don’t want any surprises.

How can I be sure the plants I buy at a LFS don’t have snails or eggs?
This link will give you some methods.

I kinda wish I had been more careful with the last round of plants I put in the 150.

Information on Getting rid of Unwanted Snails

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can also do a chlorine wash.
I read a suggestion to do a 19:1 formula of water / clorox, submerge the plants for like 30 seconds to a minute, take out, rinse with tap water, then submerge in water with dechlorinator for a few minutes and then put in the tank.
I have done that with all my recent plants and I have had no issues with the plants, water parameters or with the fish and I have had 0 snails.

Nic&Erin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Zigi Zig, buy plants that comes sealed in plastic at the LFS, they should be pest free.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The ones in tubes are guaranteed snail free. If your looking into getting a plant in the stores plant tank look for snails in the tank. Most have snails, I don't mind them they keep my plants algae free. My fish keep there numbers in check.

If you do get plants and are really worried about snails there's a process of bleach dipping to kill snails and whatever other impurities may be on them. It can kill the plant if not done correctly.

You can also quarantine new plants for a few weeks also to be 100% sure there snail free.

techfool

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The snails in my windowsill vase are out of control, but I'm happy to leave that ecosystem to do its own thing.
In my other tanks, I killed them as I saw them and told the fish to eat them. I think bettas may eat baby snails, I'm quite sure my bristlenose would eat snail eggs if she found them. I hardly ever see pest snails in those tanks. It's not necessarily the case that plants = snails of plague proportions. I say go for it.
As for quarantining and poisoning them, I'm afraid that pest snails can survive almost anything. Except being crushed and thrown out the window.
in vitro plants are snail free but v small and young - they do adapt well to the aquarium IME. I'm not sure that even the ones in tubes are snail free.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom