Snails Mating???

Discussion in 'Snails' started by juniperlea, Aug 12, 2019.

1. juniperlea

juniperleaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    This is my first post and please forgive if I've done this wrong. I have a gold Mystery snail (Miss Marple) and a Trap Door snail (Stirling Moss). Tonight, I noticed they appear to be fighting, which I know they're not doing. I suspect they're mating. Sorry for my lack of snail anatomy knowledge, but it appears that they are engaged by the underbellies!! Or, is one dead and the other is finishing him or her off? Can a Trap Door mate with a Mystery?

Attached Files:

2. Little Blue Ram

Little Blue RamValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    4 years
    Do you happen to have pictures of the snails individually? I would assume no they can't breed if they are two different types of snail but i could be wrong. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on that. As for what I know on trapdoors is that they need a male and female to breed and don't do it very often. The female can hold on to the males sperm for long periods of time and use it when she wants to (this happened to mine, I bought her from Petco, she came home with me and within a month decided she wanted to have tons of babies in my tank). Trapdoors also do not lay eggs, they are a live bearer. Where I believe a mystery snail lays eggs.

3. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  4. Cognac82

Cognac82Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +204
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I thought trap door snails had a more whorly shell?
    Maybe you have two mystery snails that are about to make a whole bunch more mystery snails?
    I don't think the two can mate, seeing as how one is an egg layer and the other is a live bearing snail, right?
    Sorry. Don't know a whole bunch about snails. Have a **** ton of pest snails and two mystery snails, one of which just came out of a two month long coma to go cruising around the tank like nothing happened. So I know less than nothing about snails, except I like them and so does my one year old.

5. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    OP has 2 mystery snails sold under 2 different common names. Also known as apple snails. Fish stores are stupid.

6. OP
    OP
    juniperlea

Ratings:
    +13
    Here is a pic of the black Mystery (Hercule Poirot), sneaking up from the right, on the other two. The two that were doing whatever they were doing, have separated and the Trapdoor has wandered off. I can't find him. (Pardon the spots on the inside of the tank. I need to clean, but the water is in good condition). I bought all the snails from my lfs and she's been selling fish for 30 years. However, maybe my lfs has been told something wrong all those years? Maybe they are all Apple snails? Will have to change their names. I'm new to all this (about 2 months). BTW, can anyone tell me what type of female betta 'Mary' is?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
  7. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    All of the snails I am seeing in the pics are different varieties of mystery snails. They all contain the "trap door" just like mts do. The trapdoor snails as I am aware of basically look like a cross between a mts and a mystery snail. Big and somewhat elongated.

8. OP
    OP
    juniperlea

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks MrBryan723 !! I'm attaching another pic. Strange activity between what I called the 'Trapdoor', interacting with the black Mystery. I'm not sure what was going on, but it almost seemed like the one I call the 'Trapdoor' was agitated with the black Mystery and they went their separate ways. The 'Trapdoor', if you can see in the bad pic, kept flashing bright neon blue from the middle 'thing'.... It was much more vivid in real life. He or she then moved quickly away.....

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
  9. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Lol the middle thing is its mouth, its scraping the glass for food. It does indeed look more like a trapdoor snail in that pic but not much. A pic from the top down would be helpful to ID for sure. Look up "Japanese trapdoor snail" and see if that's the snail shape.

10. OP
    OP
    juniperlea

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks! I'll do some research. It's such fun to watch this activity and the flashing blue neon light from the mouth was fascinating! Meanwhile, all this snail activity, I suspect my poor, harassed female Pepper cory laid a batch of eggs on the glass just above the snails..... the eggs disappeared quickly. Or, perhaps they were the snail eggs?. The Pepper has planted her eggs in the same spot before. Anyway, thanks for your help!

11. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They were probably cory eggs. Mystery snails lay big clutches above the water line and Japanese trapdoors don't lay eggs at all.

12. OP
    OP
    juniperlea

Ratings:
    +13
    ooops, sent a blank reply. Anyway, thanks so much! I'm going to watch for clutches of eggs above the water line or little snails popping up out of nowhere!!!

13. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I guess it is important to note that you won't have hybrids or anything .