Snails...i've Got Some Questions

freckspecks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI All,

I have been doing some reading about snails and have learned much.

I'd like to add a snail in with my female betta, Sugar, who resides in a 2.5 gallon filtered and lightly planted tank.

I know that many snails reproduce quickly--and on their own--but I think I read that Nerite snails don't reproduce in freshwater. Is that true? Also, are there other varieties that will not reproduce by themselves? (I may also like to add a lone snail to my 10 gallon freshwater nano community.)

Also--and I know this will sound silly--but are some variety of snails more aggressive?

Lastly, are there any varieties of non-hermaphrodictic snails that could live (and be happy) in my larger, cooler, 55 gallon goldfish tank? My goldies are...quite large.

Thank you, in advance, for thoughtful responses.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nerite snail eggs need brackish water to hatch so they don't breed in freshwater.

Rabbit snails breed slowly.

Mystery snails need a male and female to breed so if you just got 1 you wouldn't get babies.

Nerite would probably be ok for your goldie tank as their body doesn't stick out of their shell much so it would be difficult for the goldies to pick on them.

Alhana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with what BottomDweller said. You could also try the small horned nerite snails if you want something a little smaller than the bigger nerite and the mystery snails. From what I've learned both the mystery snails and the nerite snails are gender specific. So technically if you get only one you shouldnt get any more. However someone also had said that mystery snail females can hold their eggs so there would still be a chance to get more when only getting one. The eggs they lay are easy to get rid of, they are usually above the water line.

aangelicaa

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have Nerites, ramshorn, apple/mystery snails, assassins, pond snails and trumpet snails.

At first it drove me nuts because some multiply faster than others- they hitchhiked in my tank from plants.

Now I just embrace it and enjoy watching them.

I really like the Nerite snail because of the fact that it doesn't multiply in fresh water- BUT I do not like their eggs! They still lay eggs, they just don't hatch. Their eggs are bright white and they lay them everywhere. So you start having polka dots everywhere. It is still a great snail!

My favorite is the mystery snail. They are great to watch and clean the tank well. I only have one so it won't lay eggs.

If your tank winds up getting too many snails, I really like the assasin snails to control the environment. They will multiply as well, but not as many and not as fast. They are pretty to watch and quick moving!

New Threads