Snails In Toilet

1. libby2999

libby2999 Valued Member Member

I apologize for the awkwardness but I drain my tanks into the toilet and and I know I got snails in one tank, but now they're in the toilet! I cleaned it with chemicals but they're still there! Its kind of funny but gross at the same time. Has anyone had this happen before?

2. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

This might be a stupid question, but do they not just flush down?

3. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Did you try annoying them so they'll leave?

4. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

You really shouldn't flush down live creatures in the toilet, it's not very healthy not just for the creatures, but for us.

edit: Well dead ones either really.

5. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

?????

Most people flush dead fish just saying. The snails are also already in the toilet, and OP has tried killing them with chemicals. Also, like I asked, was just wondering why they didn't just go down in the flush.

6. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, did you have a question?

Yes I know some people do flush dead as well as live fish down the toilet. I was simply saying it's not all that healthy. Most likely didn't go down with the flush due to the shells floating or the snails were still alive and hanging on.

7. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I don't know what you mean "not healthy". Flushing a fish will kill it. The toxicity of the waste in the sewage will most likely kill the fish. If the fish somehow managed to survive, the water treatment process would kill them anyways.
    The water we drink is treated anyways since most of the time it's either recycled or drawn straight from a body of water where fish dedicate anyways.

To get rid o the snails, maybe like them so they close their shells and then immediately flush??

8. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Snails are an invasive pest that can live through a lot...even flushing. They get in waterways and grow there and outcompete local fish and animals for food and nutrients. Snails should be caught on pieces of veggies and put into a baggie and crushed before sealing it and trashing it in a dry place so they die. Never allow snails to be flushed. Especially live snails.

9. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Flush plus brush? (assuming you have a toilet brush)

I am the toilet cleaner in my house and think that if they were dislodged with the brush while flushing they would be carried away by the water flow.

10. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

Scoop em back up if their still alive n put em back in your tank...no live animals should be treated like that!!!...some people on the other hand need a good flush down the toilet...just sayin :)

11. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Although I'm still confused as to why we shouldn't flush dead fish in the toilets, I agree with the live snails although if you put cleaning solution in there, most likely they are dead. If they're stuck on the side then obviously not and you need to get them out. If they're floating and you don't want to stick your hand in there you could just leave it and see if it moves to go to the toilet wall. Most likely it's dead if it's a nicer snail but pond snails are tough.

I'm very curious about flushing the dead fish though. As someone stated, much of our drinking water originally came from a lake or river even after that lake has been polluted with runoff and dumping from factories not to mention the fact that people go to the bathroom in their toilets and are prone to just as many diseases. Then there's the fact that people rinse their chickens and often toss their raw meat trimmings down disposals. A dead minnow is less meat than one trimming of a hormone filled steak.

12. kuhlkid

kuhlkid Valued Member Member

It's hard to find documentation of this online, which is weird, but I think the flat answer (at least where I live) is that flushing dead animals is illegal. Particularly if one doesn't know what killed the animal, it can lead to the spreading of disease (fish TB in the toilet, yikes).

You raise a lot of good points about the other things that go in our water--there's a lot of waste dropping in there. People have to make their own decisions at the end of the day. I bury my fish in a flowerpot. Feels much nicer to me.

13. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

14. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

???? (or any number of question marks) typically means why. Plain ol' why.
    you're welcome.

15. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

I don't agree with any animal/creature being killed just for existing, even snails. Just my opinion though. If my dog had puppies that i didn't want, I would find good homes for them, not crush them or flush them: )

16. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

What about termites living in your wall or cockroaches in your kitchen? There is a reason that they are called pests.

17. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

I always get sad when people talk about all of the horrible ways they kill snails. But, that's my weakness, my heart is too big for animals and even bugs, I just can't

I wish more people read and are aware of pest snails and how to avoid them from the start. I think many newbies don't know and when they start seeing them, it's always too late. I always try to warn people to do a plant dip before even putting in your tank. I have a ton of plants and no pest snails, I just don't have it in me to crush them or flush them. Then again, I know I'm usually in the minority on that one...I will spend 1 hour trying to catch and release a spider

18. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I'm curious about the plant dip. I have snails in my existing tanks and got those from tossing pet-store plants in years ago. Planning to build a new tank, so I'm now wondering about this plant dip. I can live with snails in my existing tanks, but would be pleased if I could keep the new tank in my work-office a snail free zone.

19. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

I get my alum through Amazon, but you can find them in the grocery stores too. So far, they haven't hurt any of my plants and I've had some fragile ones too (jungle val and water wisteria). I add 2-3 tablespoons of alum to about a half gallon of water? I'll be honest, I'm not sure on the exact amount of water, I just add it all to a bigger Tupperware, but you can add quite a bit of alum, I've never had any issues. I'd also be cautious about which sellers you're getting them through. I get a lot of mine through eBay and have a few that I really trust :)

20. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Some documentaries, as sad as it sounds, are more out for the money than for the sake of the animals. You need to be careful of your sources.