Snails in Planted Tank, will they escape?

ogwog

So I have started a 10 gallon planted tank, eventually for my Betta to live in. I have my plants planted and now the algae is growing. I am getting some Amano shrimp to combat this problem.

Here's my question: I have an open top aquarium, I don't really want a lid on it, I think it's prettier without a lid. What snails can I add that will help fight algae, not kill my plants and not crawl out of the top of the aquarium.

kansas

I'm told bettas jump, if you don't have a lid you'll need to leave the water several inches below the edge of your tank so the fish doesn't jump out.

PlantedCommunityTank132

So I have started a 10 gallon planted tank, eventually for my Betta to live in. I have my plants planted and now the algae is growing. I am getting some Amano shrimp to combat this problem.

Here's my question: I have an open top aquarium, I don't really want a lid on it, I think it's prettier without a lid. What snails can I add that will help fight algae, not kill my plants and not crawl out of the top of the aquarium.
depends. people say that neuritis escape, but I have two in a 10 gallon without a lid, and they've never escaped in the 2.5 months of keeping them

Blacksheep1

My nerites are always in and out of the water. Amanos can jump/ escape too by the way.

ogwog

I'm told bettas jump, if you don't have a lid you'll need to leave the water several inches below the edge of your tank so the fish doesn't jump out.
It's funny you say that, we just had a Betta jump out for the first time yesterday. But it was when we were feeding her. She goes after those pellets aggressively.
My nerites are always in and out of the water. Amanos can jump/ escape too by the way.
Have you had any of them die, basically crawl out and end up somewhere else away from the tank (the snails)?

WRWAquarium

Wish my trumpet snails would crawl out of gaps in my planted tank and die but they won't!

I have some nerites and they haven't either. Want to keep those though :)

My tank has covers to keep fish in but gaps snails can get out from. There is a good few inches from waterline to rim so maybe that's the reason.

ppate1977

My nerites are on the outside of my aquarium more often than inside. Lol. It's covered too except for like 5" to run my filter in.

Blacksheep1

I have found mts out of water crawling up wood ! Never outside the tank though. My nerites hit the lip and stop but if they ever find the filter wire they’d be out.

Except the helmet nerite. Who burys himself in the substrate :facepalm: snails are quirky little fellas.

Kittiuskattus

Unfortunately a lid should be used for any snail, nerites included, rabbit snails are good too, don't get assassins as they should be kept with their own kind, amanos also should have a lid. There is a company on amazon that allows you to make your own and they do look good! Otherwise you can get some fish tank mesh and make your own using tie wraps etc. Doesn't have to cost the earth. Good luck!!

Mudminnow

I've kept nerites and most "pest" snails in open top aquariums. They sometimes sit just above the water line, but, to my knowledge, I've never lost one due to it crawling out.

skar

You will be fine, I have open top tank.
I've had very few escapes from open top tank. 10 years
No snails have tried to leave, mystery, nerites, assassin, rabbit snails all stay in the water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Algae and plant issues
Replies
Views
Argos
Replies
Views
Scubagirl1
Replies
Views
StarGirl