snails in my betta tank

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
there are itty bitty little snails in my betta tank. I saw one one the glass today and I looked in my filter and there were a few in there too. What do I do?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends do you want them or not, if you do want them make sure you don't overfeed so there isn't a population explosion, if you don't want them have a read here personally I don't like pest snails but everybody has their own opinions. If you have puffers they make great food

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I've seen them in my tanks I take them out right away, kill them with hot water and throw them out. They are pests, like roaches! They will eat all your live plants and I've even seen (in a tank at Petsmart) them swarm all over Betta lying at the bottom of the tank sleeping and kill them! It was disgusting and horrifying! The Betta was still alive and covered in snails!  Personally, I don't want them anywhere NEAR my babies! They are not the same as the lovable big Apple snails which are harmless to plants and fish.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some species eat live plants, not all, usually it's the dead leaves. Like I said some people don't like them, if you really like them then you would need to keep them undercontrol by killing them. Why boil them, just squish them and throw them out, don't squish them in the tank though.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First of all identify the type of snail you have. (try a google search for snail species or something). They are most likely pond snails. If they are they are harmless and there's no need to do anything. Just don't overfeed and you won't have any problems. I personally like snails because they are fun to watch, even the little ones. Also they are helpful because they will eat dead plant leaves and dropped fish food and such.
I don't think snails would actually kill a fish. I have never seen or heard of that happening. What they will do is eat the bodies of dead fish. Phloxface--were the snails you saw on the Betta big or little ones? Are you sure the Betta was still alive?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Now the first advice I got for snails and it came from a good source (Butterfly or Gunnie, I cannot remember which) was to squish them against the glass and the fish would have a feast. I could not bring myself to do it. Oh, and do not get a PUFFER and put in with your betta...they are a one species tank fish...they will bully if not kill almost any other fish put in with them.

I now have a tank that was being overrun with snails and I will not any longer use the "chemical" approach...I got the Botia sidthimunki Loaches. They only get 2" long and they are adorable. The first couple of weeks I thought they would never eat a snail and this morning I got up and FEWER snails...hmm. I guess they have started to clean house. Part of it may be that they were so tiny when they got here but have grown to about 1 1/2" now. (my two new ones are still tiny but they are all 4 swimming and schooling together)

I would not allow them to stay in the tank as you will soon be covered with snails and they will attach to the fish. My bettas would go ape when one would get on them. They will attach to their fins and keep them from going to the surface to breathe and they can drown them.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup, I agree with Rose, pond snails are pests and dangerous to certain types of fish that "sleep" on the bottom of the tank. They should never be allowed to remain in the tank. Apple snails are "good" snails, but you would never have one of those just 'appear" in the tank. As for killing fish, pond snails can and DO kill fish! I've seen it with my own eyes. I saw fish after fish after fish die in Petsmart's tank of female Bettas. Bettas like to sleep on the tank floor so they are an easy target, unlike other fish who are always swimming. The fish I saw being killed were still alive and trying to move but so covered with snails they couldn't get to the surface or shake them off! The snails had sucked out one of the fish's eyes and eaten holes into her fins and body! It is a horrific sight and not one I EVER want to see one of my babies suffering. I complained to the manager about this awful sight and they have since cleaned out the existing snails and the females in there now have managed to stay alive. Unfortunately unless they keep up with the cleaning the eggs in there will hatch and they'll have the same problem.
When I find one in my tank I take it out with a net or a turkey baster (that I use only for my tanks) and run hot tap water over them for a few minutes and throw them in the garbage. Pond snails don't just eat the rotten parts of the leaves of your plants. Apple snails do that... Pond snails eat holes into the leaves and stems killing them. Trust me, pond snails are not harmless or helpful. I had a 75 gallon tropical fish tank in my bedroom when I was a kid many years ago. I inherited it from the previous owner of the house when we moved in. It was infested with pond snails so bad we had to empty the tank, throw out all the gravel, boiled the ornaments and rocks and scrubbed the tank. Within weeks the snails came back. They are a BIG problem! Too bad I didn't know about those loaches back then! They would have had a feast!

I don't have a really big snail problem as I kill all that I find asap. If I ever get a lot I will look into getting some of those loaches Rose was talking about. I've had no problem with snails hiching a ride on my plants since I started buying plants from Big Al's. Petsmart's plants are bad quality and full of snails and eggs.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I pulled five out of the filter media ... what about those loaches...

1: will one get on with my betta and otto in my five gallon? (I do have a new ordament I wanted to add, so I could do a little remodleing when I added him

2: Plus, what do you feed them if there aren't any snails?

3: would putting a peice of lettus in over night, and then removing it in the morning be enough to controle the snail population at the moment?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry but the loaches are schooling fish and need to be in the company of others of their own kind. I have 4 in a tank of their own now and I will probably have to upgrade the tank before it is over. They need to be kept in groups. I had 2 and then they did act a bit lost so I bought 2 more and you would not believe the difference just since their little school has grown. I would get a pair at least and move the betta and oto into a snail-less tank.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Those loaches Rose was talking about need to be kept in groups of at least 4 or more. I've also read that they can be fin nippers at times so you'd have to be careful. I've never had one myself but one site I read had a comment from a guy who had to remove his Betta because the loaches were eating his fins.
If you only have a few snails right now, just keep removing them everytime you see them. So far it's worked for me. I rarely see any and when I do they are taken out right away.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
moving him isn't an option... neither is getting four 2 inch fish. our 29 gallon tank is now a gecko habitat. So we have our 10 gallon x-qtank, which is now home to two baby mollies and a cory cat and then the five gallon with my betta and otto. If/when I end up needing a q-tank, it will mean a emergency trip to petsmart for a critter keeper. :-[

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are not cheap fish either, coming in at $19.99 each on LiveAquaria.com and then the $39.00 shipping fee (twice as I was stupid and did not order all of them at once.)

But they are such darlings to watch they are worth it.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chickadee said:
Now the first advice I got for snails and it came from a good source (Butterfly or Gunnie, I cannot remember which) was to squish them against the glass and the fish would have a feast.  I could not bring myself to do it.  Oh, and do not get a PUFFER and put in with your betta...they are a one species tank fish...they will bully if not kill almost any other fish put in with them.

I now have a tank that was being overrun with snails and I will not any longer use the "chemical" approach...I got the Botia sidthimunki Loaches.  They only get 2" long and they are adorable.  The first couple of weeks I thought they would never eat a snail and this morning I got up and FEWER snails...hmm.  I guess they have started to clean house.  Part of it may be that they were so tiny when they got here but have grown to about 1 1/2" now.  (my two new ones are still tiny but they are all 4 swimming and schooling together)

I would not allow them to stay in the tank as you will soon be covered with snails and they will attach to the fish.  My bettas would go ape when one would get on them.  They will attach to their fins and keep them from going to the surface to breathe and they can drown them.

Rose
squishing them against the glass can release babies they may be caring, not sure if the fish eat these also or not :-\

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom