Snails in Aquarium

Django

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning everyone. Well I woke up this morning and discovered a whole bunch of snails in my 20-gallon aquarium. I’m not sure where they came from. The only thing I could think of is they were attached to some amazon swords I bought several weeks ago without me realizing it and perhaps they multiplied? Should I be concerned about snails? I have no experience with them. How might it affect my fish? I have four mollies, one dwarf gourami, two corydoras and one otocynclus catfish.. can someone please advise. I’m attaching two pictures.

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are bladder or pond snails not harmful but many consider them a pest and can easily overpopulate your tank if you dont want them squash on the glass and see if you fish like them or dispose

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you don't overfeed they should stay in control. They will multiply A LOT. They are good cleaners if you don't mind them. They won't harm any fish or other inhabitants.

AquEric

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like you have blader snails they will take over your tank in no time you probably did get them from plants you can smash them or get a zebra loach they love to eat them

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like pond or bladder snails to me. Probably hitchhiked on a plant you put in the tank. Some people don't like them. I actually like them though, really good at cleaning up. Never had any issues with them eating plants.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom