Snails... Hello is anyone home?? Question

1. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

When are snails active!? Snails are very cool when they are moving about but I never see mine moving! They are always in their shell. Do they primarily roam at night? I was at petsmart yesterday and I actually saw a snail out moving around with his little antennas flowing around lol.. and just because he was out I bought him. I love watching them but like I say mine are never doing anything but laying around on the bottom. They change spots I just know it!! but it must be in the darkness of night. Is this indeed the case? Is there anything one can do to get them more active? I know this sounds silly but I really enjoy them in action.. not so much hiding in their shells...

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

What species of snail? And, what are they in with?

3. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

What kind of snails do you have? My MS and MTS are active all the time. I red somewhere that snails hiding means something is wrong or your snails are just lazy lol.

4. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Well, I am not sure what kind they are to be honest. There are some pictures of them in my gallery. I picked them up at petsmart and I think they just carry the one kind. I did know the name of them but I cant recall the term now. They are in with african cichlids. I never see them messing with the snails.

Jessi, they may just be lazy lol who knows... but I have 5 in my 75 and they are all lazy it seems...

5. Everythingzen

Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

They are mystery snails, the large yellow ones. I didn't find them to be extremely active when I had them. They did come out, but would also hide away for ages. My water wasn't suitable in the long run and I couldn't keep them beyond a few months.

6. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

If you have algae on your tank walls, you should see them cruising all the time. Is it possible something is picking at them?

7. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

I do have algae here and there. With african cichlids there is a chance they could mess with them when they are in motion but its hard to tell because I never see them moving around or anything.

8. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Mine are always about and moving unless something is messing with them or if something is wrong with the water.

9. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

My water is good so I am not sure whats going on with these guys but I wish they were more active. I will test my water tonight and make sure all is well. I am not sure what the perfect water condition is for snails to thrive best in. My fish and plants are doing very well though.