Question Snails Gone Wild

Is it completely impossible for nerites to breed in freshwater aquariums?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yemaya

Reaction score
So if you look closely at the attached pic, there are 4 nerites. One on the shell of the zebra in the foreground. He/she has been on the other's back every time I've seen them over the past couple of days; the zebra is moving around and eating like normal. In the background there are two more snails that stuck themselves together this afternoon. Also, this morning, I swore a saw a baby snail - tiny tiny, cone shaped shell, kind of a tan color. It moved before I could take a pic, but I left it in the tank because although I have a 20 gallon, planted tank, I haven't added anything new in 9-10 months. So my question is, is it truly impossible for nerites to breed in freshwater?

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will breed and lay eggs but that's as far as it goes,the eggs need to be moved to brackish water for the process to be complete

OP
Yemaya

Yemaya

Reaction score
richie.p said:
They will breed and lay eggs but that's as far as it goes,the eggs need to be moved to brackish water for the process to be complete
Thanks for your reply. Any idea where the baby snail could have come from??

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wonder that every time I see s snail in a tank that I didn't put there, is it only one tank you have?

OP
Yemaya

Yemaya

Reaction score
richie.p said:
I wonder that every time I see s snail in a tank that I didn't put there, is it only one tank you have?
No, I have on old 3 gallon I could put it in if I can find it again. I just wasn't too worried because I hadn't added any new plants or decorations in so long.

If I do put him/her in another tank, what should tanks conditions be? I know Prime, but substrate or none? Also filter or none?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wasn't thinking that if there's a snail there he's no problem, what I was thinking is when you last added something there was an egg/ eggs added and when hatched went into the substrait where they have been living and breeding, or perhaps your net as come in contact or used in another tank
I can't see it being a nerite but obviously you've seen a baby, when did you add the nerite snails

OP
Yemaya

Yemaya

Reaction score
richie.p said:
I wasn't thinking that if there's a snail there he's no problem, what I was thinking is when you last added something there was an egg/ eggs added and when hatched went into the substrait where they have been living and breeding, or perhaps your net as come in contact or used in another tank
I can't see it being a nerite but obviously you've seen a baby, when did you add the nerite snails
I was thinking the same, but do you know if something can be dormant for 9-10 months? I don't use a net because I only have one betta and the nerites, so I just use a vacuum for water changes, but they stay in the tank when I do that. And yeah, no other active tanks, so no way it could've been transferred. I added the nerites about 8-9 months ago after I was sure the plants were adjusted. Thanks for brainstorming this with me!

OP
Yemaya

Yemaya

Reaction score
I found it again. It does look like it's trying to burrow. In the pick it's the shell that looks like the plant stem is touching it. What is it?!?! Lol

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking at the cone I'd say it's a great pond snail, so unlucky on making history with nerites breeding. But hoe did it get there???????
Edit looking at that photo he'd find it difficult to burrow under that larva rock

OP
Yemaya

Yemaya

Reaction score
richie.p said:
Looking at the cone I'd say it's a great pond snail, so unlucky on making history with nerites breeding. But hoe did it get there???????
Edit looking at that photo he'd find it difficult to burrow under that larva rock
I have no idea!! There's not a pond within miles of me, so I definitely haven't been grabbing anything from one to put in my tank. It took him a little bit to burrow, but by the time I finished taking and posting the pic, he was gone! If it is a pond snail, any concern that they'll overtake my tank or hurt my nerites, betta or plants?? Hoping I can just let him live, but not at the expense of everything else.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are harmless but if left it's as Yemaya said they will infest the tank so best to evict him, looking at his size if there's two in there the chances are they have mated if its alone then your ok cos I think these need two to mate

OP
Yemaya

Yemaya

Reaction score
richie.p said:
They are harmless but if left it's as Yemaya said they will infest the tank so best to evict him, looking at his size if there's two in there the chances are they have mated if its alone then your ok cos I think these need two to mate
Aww OK, I'll get him out next time I see him. If they burrow under the substrate and stay that long, there's no telling if there are more! Thanks, again!

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just been doing some research and if it's a pond snail as thought they are air breathers as well so it could have come in from anywhere on anything and made it's way to your tank

OP
Yemaya

Yemaya

Reaction score
That's cool but also creepy at the same time lol now you've made me want to learn more about them. Going to do some research myself.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know their full capabilities but no doubt would have to have been brought in on something then looked for water

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
richie.p said:
I don't know their full capabilities but no doubt would have to have been brought in on something then looked for water
And if that is the case and this species needs two to tango then it is possible that this one will be the only one in the tank. I wonder if an egg could have made its way through all the water pipes and maybe got there during a water change.

New Threads