Snails gasping for air at surface

EnderKing

my mystery snails are gasping for air at the surface and the snails (not the shells) look very pale they are eating alright though. What do I do?

EnderKing

I’ve done several they fall down and then crawl right back up again maybe it’s the ph?

John58ford

Mystery snails would be "gasping" with a snorkel, they have a tube they extend to breathe air regularly. Is this what you are seeing?

If they are opening and closing their mouth at the surface, they are likely eating biofilm, also pretty normal. But, if you don't have biofilm regularly that they are used to having as a source of food, this might just mean they are hungry. Mine also do this if I feed floating foods and the snail happens to be high in the tank at the time.
I’ve done several
Water tests? What are the parameters you are getting back?

mattgirl

If all of yours are staying at the top and you haven't fed them something that is floating around the edges I have to think there is something about the water they are not comfortable with.

Back when I was growing out my mystery snails babies in my 5.5 gallon tank I saw all of them at the top. I knew it was highly unusual so had to see why. It seems my HOB filter had stopped working. Since it was the only filter on this tank the water was slowly getting bad. I got the filter running again and all of them went back to their normal selves.

If yours have just started doing this try to figure out what has changed.

EnderKing

I have some ramshorns in the tank and they seem fine I feed them a half an algae wafer everyday. and sometimes I see the snorkel and sometimes I dont

StarGirl

You never stated what your readings are....

Are you feeding the Mysteries fresh veggies at all? Is the water line down a bit? Maybe they are trying to lay eggs.

EnderKing

Sry I don’t have a test kit but ya I do feed them veggies I feed veggies every 2 days and I feed freeze dried brine shrimp every sunday

StarGirl

Sry I don’t have a test kit but ya I do feed them veggies I feed veggies every 2 days and I feed freeze dried brine shrimp every sunday
I would get something to test with. Something is wrong in your water. Mysteries are a little more finicky than ramshorn or nerites.

EnderKing

Will do they are eating though I think the ph is too high but I’ll test it when I get a kit

StarGirl

Will do they are eating though I think the ph is too high but I’ll test it when I get a kit
Well you wont know for sure until you do test. Come back with the results before you try to change anything OK? Messing with pH can be bad news if not done correctly.

EnderKing

Umm oops already did went to store got a test and use a tab to turn ph to neutral. My ph was a little on the high side. My snails look ok now though. I also found that I should grind up the food for the snails. I do want the water on the hard side though right?
Really sorry I just read your reply after I got done with the tab
Ph tablet I mean

EnderKing

Oh no nvm they are using the “snorkle” what do I do?

mattgirl

How can you know your pH is on the high side if you are unable to test it. In 99.9% of the cases it is better to just leave the pH alone unless we have something that absolutely has to have a certain level. Mystery snails don't. If yours is on the high side it will be fine for mystery snails.

I don't know why you would have to grind up the food for mystery snails. I don't. I don't even blanch the fresh veggies I feed mine. Did someone at the store tell you that you need to grind the food for your snails? If they did I would disregard that information because it is wrong.
Oh no nvm they are using the “snorkle” what do I do?
How many mystery snails do you have? What size tank are they in?

EnderKing

I got a test kit like I said and the owner said to grind it up. Hmm maybe I’ll try a different pet store then. I’ve got two mystery snails in a 10 gallon and 5 baby nitrites I know it’s a bit much but they were fine until about a week ago
I just bought the kit yesterday

StarGirl

What was the "high side" Number? A lot of people think it it is high when its not high at all.

EnderKing

It was at 8.2 but I’d now at 7
Ppm
I’m using this test kit
It’s the master test kit

StarGirl

That seems like it would be fine to me. I dont have Mystery snails though just Nerites. mattgirl ?

That seems like a crazy swing. 7 is not neutral either. I would not add any more and do small water changes to not bring it back up too fast. Like 10%.

EnderKing

Kk so like 10% a day or how often?
Because I do a 20% every other day

StarGirl

Kk so like 10% a day or how often?
Yeah, 10% a day. Test it the next day before you change more to see where it is. We will see what mattgirl has to say about the mysteries first though.

mattgirl

I got a test kit like I said and the owner said to grind it up. Hmm maybe I’ll try a different pet store then. I’ve got two mystery snails in a 10 gallon and 5 baby nitrites I know it’s a bit much but they were fine until about a week ago
I just bought the kit yesterday
Since you are able to test the water now please share the numbers with us. Without knowing the parameters of your water we can only guess at what's going on.

I don't know why the shop owner told you to grind up their food. It is not necessary at all. Right now I have over 40 adult mystery snails I raised from newborns so I am giving advice from personal experience.

Mystery snails will come to the top of the tank to get a breath of air. They shouldn't normally spend all of their time hanging out of the water though. If they are then there is something about the water they don't like. Once we know the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH we will have a better idea as to what is going on.
It was at 8.2 but I’d now at 7
Ppm
Ouch, most of our water pets don't like drastic changes like this. It will take some work but what I would do is water changes to get the pH up to the same level as your tap water. Once done I would leave it alone. Your snails have already gone through a lot.

You can change out 10% of the water every couple of hours. Keep doing this until the pH level is the same as your tap water. This will slowly acclimate your snails to the pH

EnderKing

Ok thanks so much
But how do I fix my snails at the surface
Should i add another air stone?

mattgirl

Ok thanks so much
But how do I fix my snails at the surface
Should i add another air stone?
Do you have a filter on this tank? Instead of an air stone I would be running a sponge filter instead.
I don't mean to be too blunt with you but we can't help you if you can't or won't answer the questions we ask.

Can you share a photo of the tank with us? Maybe we will see something that will help us help you.

Do you now have the tests needed to check the parameters in this tank? Without those numbers we can only guess at what's going on.

I will say it again and ask again. If the snails never leave the top then there is something about the water they are not comfortable with. Do they ever leave the top? Without knowing the numbers neither you nor I have any idea as to what is bothering them.

Doing the water changes I suggested you do may be all that needs to be done.

EnderKing

They leave the top it’s just an occasional thing sometimes they get out of the water. I have a hang on the back but am getting a spong

StarGirl

What is the temperature in your tank? It is by a window maybe it is getting too warm or too cold?

EnderKing

My pear items are
ph 7 ppm
ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
nitrate between 0 and 5 ppm
Peramiters
They seem fine most of time when I’m feeding them
I’ve also found these egg things what are they?
Also thanks for all the help i appreciate it

StarGirl

Do you have a temperature?

Those look like Bladder or Ramshorn snail eggs.

EnderKing

It is by a window but the tank has a heater at 80 degrees
I put the temp a little high because of the window

StarGirl

I would turn it down a bit. That may be too warm for them. About 76. The heater will keep it there even with the window. If it does not then turn a up a little bit.

EnderKing

It’s weird one day they look very healthy and the next they wont leav the top of the tank

mattgirl

My pear items are
ph 7 ppm
ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
nitrate between 0 and 5 ppm
Parameters look good so shouldn't be affecting them. 80 is a bit too high and may be why they spend a lot of time at the top. StarGirl is right. turn the heater down a bit. mid 70's is high enough for them

the water changes are going to gradually raise the pH. Don't worry about it and don't add anything to lower it.
Peramiters
They seem fine most of time when I’m feeding them
I’ve also found these egg things what are they?
Also thanks for all the help i appreciate it
It isn't unusual at all for mystery snails to hang out at the top of the tank. My main concern would be if they never went down. They should be exploring all levels of the tank.

If you are talking about the kinda orange looking thing I think it is a clutch of mystery snail eggs. Normally they will lay them right above the water line. I have to wonder if one of yours laid it above the water line and it fell in the water. I would remove it and dispose of it. It isn't going to hatch.

You may want to keep a close eye on the tank and remove any other clutches of eggs whenever you see them. If you allow them to hatch you could easily end up with hundreds of mystery snails. I allowed one clutch to hatch and ended up with 70 of them. I lost a few along the way but now have 45 adults that are big enough now to start laying eggs themselves.

StarGirl

Parameters look good so shouldn't be affecting them. 80 is a bit too high and may be why they spend a lot of time at the top. StarGirl is right. turn the heater down a bit. mid 70's is high enough for them

the water changes are going to gradually raise the pH. Don't worry about it and don't add anything to lower it.

It isn't unusual at all for mystery snails to hang out at the top of the tank. My main concern would be if they never went down. They should be exploring all levels of the tank.

If you are talking about the kinda orange looking thing I think it is a clutch of mystery snail eggs. Normally they will lay them right above the water line. I have to wonder if one of yours laid it above the water line and it fell in the water. I would remove it and dispose of it. It isn't going to hatch.

You may want to keep a close eye on the tank and remove any other clutches of eggs whenever you see them. If you allow them to hatch you could easily end up with hundreds of mystery snails. I allowed one clutch to hatch and ended up with 70 of them. I lost a few along the way but now have 45 adults that are big enough now to start laying eggs themselves.
I think they mean the eggs on the tip of the airstone.

mattgirl

I think they mean the eggs on the tip of the airstone.
A closer look tells me you are right. Those do look like "pest" snail eggs. Those haven't been mentioned so I didn't even consider it.

EnderKing

umm the eggs are on the glass it just a bad photo :) and are rams horns pest snail?

StarGirl

umm the eggs are on the glass it just a bad photo :) and are rams horns pest snail?
Yes they are considered that. Dont over feed and they should be ok. They are really good cleaners. You can remove the egg sack so it doesnt hatch.

EnderKing

I would like them to hatch as I am getting a bigger tank do u think a 10 gallon is big enough for a female
betta?
And my snails only really come down at night or at feeding time

StarGirl

I would like them to hatch as I am getting a bigger tank do u think a 10 gallon is big enough for a female
betta?
Absolutely. Is there just the snails in there right now? Or do you not have the 10g yet?

EnderKing

I have only snails in a 10 gallon rn but am getting a 30 so imma need something for the 10 gallon

StarGirl

I have only snails in a 10 gallon rn but am getting a 30 so imma need something for the 10 gallon
Yep a female or male would be perfectly fine in a 10g.

John58ford

Looking at how the bubbles are spreading all the way across the top of the tank I would believe there is a protein sheen, or biofilm layer. Snails like eating both of those. None of my tanks with air stones let the bubbles spread like that and you look to have more agitation in the surface than I do. Not sure any of that needs to change, just an observation to be considered.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
Adriifu
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
  • Question
Replies