Snails for sand in 40g

Discussion in 'Snails' started by TigerBarb313, Dec 4, 2012.

1. T

TigerBarb313 Valued Member Member

Want to switch to sand in my 40g, and like the idea of MTS, since they are beneficial in that matter. The only thing is, I don't want them to completely take over. What can I do to control them without eradicating them all?

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to say but you don't... you don't have to eradicate them just remove some as they start to have more babies than you want you can always fish them out and give them away... I know members here would love to take extras that are produced... but if you start with a small group it would be a while before you have MTS Armageddon... so long as you control your feeding. more food = more MTS

3. OP
    OP
    T

Would a snail eating fish clean them out? If not I would consider it. I know, don't get a fish just for that. I want to add some more fish anyway, and if there are any I like i could put them in.

4. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

I've read their shells are too hard for most fish, but a dwarf puffer can suck 'em out of their shells.

I have MTS in all 3 of my tanks and there's really never been a snail-splosion of them. They just had their first batch of babies in my 20 gallon a couple weeks ago. I've never seen more than 5-7 adult ones out at any given time, and that's generally only if I put some veggies in the tank or when I first get up in the morning. They stay under the gravel or laying half buried most of the day.

5. OP
    OP
    T

I might add that most of the fish are peaceful.
    Edit: the fishes in my tank.

6. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

Someone had mentioned that yoyo loaches like snails. Not sure if they can eat the MTS, but if they do, that would be a really fun addition. We love our loaches, they're a blast to watch, and so social and active, not the reclusive buggers you hear they can be. Nocturnal my tushie :giggle:

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

As stated their shells can be to hard for some fish to eat however an assassin snail can help keep their population in check and you won't get a fish just for eating snails :)

8. OP
    OP
    T

Haha

How many assassins would I need? Just one?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  9. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

i need a assassin snail or 2 my MTS are getting slightly out of hand lol

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If the sand is fine enough, or the holes large enough, you can use a net and sift them out of the sand. You can remove dozens at a time like that and quickly get the population under control. Of course from there it would be up to you to keep it that way by not over feeding ;)

11. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

The biggest way to control the MTS population is by not over feeding the fish. The more food that hits the bottom triggers them to have more babies. If it does get out of hand, I've read a method to get rid of a lot is to put in a slice of zucchini or cucumber and when a lot latch on to eat it, just remove the slice and the snails will come with it. I personally have an army in my tank and it doesn't look bad as most stay hidden until nightfall. With keeping my tank clean, the army more than earns their keep! :)

12. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Well they ARE beneficial for the sand............ But I must be an exception as I started out with 7 adults in late July - I have over 300+ to date even after weeding out a good batch and sending them out as ROAK to some members here.
    I also bought 1 assassin snail to keep the population under control. I don't want to get rid of all of them, just not have so many.
    Oh and I DO NOT feed them regularly - I have 1 betta in the tank ( 6 gallon ) and only feed a small bit of algae wafer once a month. So I know its not overfeeding issue for me....

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice